It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN says Afghan security worsening

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Article

There has been a surge in roadside bombings and assassinations in Afghanistan during the first four months of this year, a new UN report has revealed.

Attacks involving improvised explosive devices have skyrocketed 94 per cent, compared with the same period in 2009, the report submitted to the UN Security Council on Saturday, said.

The number of suicide attacks involving complex planning has doubled from last year to roughly two per month which demonstrates "a growing capability of the local terrorist networks linked to al-Qaeda," the report added.

"I think we are making headway," Robert Gates, the US defence secretary, had said on Wednesday.

There are currently an estimated 142,000 troops in Afghanistan and that number is expected to peak at 150,000 in August, before a planned withdrawal in 2011.

The war seems to be getting worse day by day. Every month this year compared to the months in the previous years, have had higher casualties. Attacks are on the rise, and we still seem to be in a stalemate, in my opinion.

With the vast mineral deposits found, and now the claim US money is funding Taliban... I dont know what to think about this war anymore. It the longest war in US history now....the only reason I see us over there now is for money.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
It's okay! Help is on its way!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
So, get the hell out of there then...simple!

If the corporations want to get their hands on resources, then let them hire private armies to go get it, not use taxpayer funded military for private corporate gain.

Funny thing is, I read a story yesterday quoting the Afghan government as saying that the Japanese already had first dibs on the Lithium mining.

The vast outsourced military sector is making money hand over fist from this debacle which we, the taxpayers, are having to stump up.
A pullout does NOT dishonour those who have died thus far, but prevents any more of our military dying in this pointless and corporate manufactured slaughter.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
And now the US General for Afghanistan is about to get fired. - Thread This war is all messed up.

new topics

top topics

join