It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intel and FTC talk settlement of market abuse suit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Intel and FTC talk settlement of market abuse suit

www.reuters.com

Intel and the Federal Trade Commission filed motions on Monday to suspend trial proceedings while both negotiate settlement of a lawsuit, in which the agency accused the company of abusing its market dominance.
The government accused Intel in December of illegally stifling competition, in a lawsuit the agency said sought to stop the marketing practices that have helped maintain Intel's status as the world's top chip maker for years.

The commission said Intel had been trying to shut out competitors in maneuvers dating back to 1999.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hm, Intel abusing market dominance, no it couldn't be! I find that this should have been brought up years ago, as the suit suggest back to 1999.

For as long as the CPU market has been about Intel has done everything is could to make sure they were the Big Kid on the block, pushing competition like AMD down with tactics that obviously the FCC wasn't happy about and Intel knows they have broken rules, hence wanting to settle.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I thought someone would comment about market cornering and Intel being in trouble.

sheesh crickets

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
It's time like this that I really despise people that are pro anti-trust laws. I mean, it's like they don't think anyone should get big. I don't think that companies can maintain their monopolies forever. I don't know the details here but I don't know what Intel has really done so I can't comment on it. Have they just been stifling competition because they've been doing so well? If so- then where is the problem? These kinds of things don't make sense to me. Why should we hate a company because it's just big? There has to be a real reason to hate a company... and not just because it's just big and you don't like big companies.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Actually it would be nice to have new concepts in CPU designs, yet we have been stifled into the x86 architecture for way to long. Why? Because no other competition has been allowed to compete.

The sad thing is, the computer of today are already outdated and no one wants to spend billions on new designs and revamp the computer world.

I think all this started in the 1970's.

top topics

join