It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"For All Mankind" What is in this Criterion footage?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by theability

There is a chance it could be from Apollo 12. I don't know if the 16mm DAC camera was taken to the surface on that mission but it could have been.

The solar wind collector takes on different aspects when view from different angles. It's a good candidate.
www.hq.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Did they have long enough cable for the DAC to be taken on a field trip from the LM cabin?

Anyway, the more I look at STA LM images the more and more AS12 seems to be the right flight. 14 seems to be dark in that area where the anomaly is, plus there is no mound of to that side either like the 'for all man kind' footage has.

AS16 seems to be way rocky and littered with small 1-3 foot craters too.

As we know obviously, it is not Hadley-Apennine or Taurus-Littrow for sure.

I know its not conclusive yet but can I ask if:
My question is though how did that Surface experiment create such a interesting top feature in the video?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I was reviewing the transcripts and it does not appear that they did take the DAC to the surface but regarding the solar wind experiment:

05 10 10 15 LMP-LM A real interesting thing has happened to that solar wind collector. It's been sitting out there since yesterday· of course; and· when I left if yesterday, it was - Just a flat sheet of foil - you know - restrained at both ends; but as I look out there now, starting about 1 - maybe a foot from the top, it is sort of folded back around the pole that's holding it. Looks almost like a sail in the wind around the pole. It's sort of bulging in the front and bent back on the sides. Real crazy.

So, the nice flat sheet gets twisted and distorted. Thermal effects, or something. The image I posted shows this.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The solar wind collector takes on different aspects when view from different angles. It's a good candidate. www.hq.nasa.gov...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9bb384c0543b.jpg[/atsimg]

I would have to agree 100% After looking how much the Experiment bends and also reflects that much light; it has to be the culprit.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Ok, good work on which flight. Do we agree that this is a similar angle or view as the movie after you click on the lander area?www.hq.nasa.gov...

I dont feel the location of the solar matches up with the movie, plus would this have been erected before they both got out?

Scroll right to see solar.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Overtime]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
great find! I've always thought it was odd, too, that even today when journalists talk around the world via all our satellites they sometimes have to wait a few seconds to hear the other person but yet in the late 60s they could respond almost immediately and the other person wasn't even on the planet!!! In one video I saw of mission control telling them where to aim the camera, MC says "move it a little to the right" and it gets moved almost immediately! Guess they had better equipment then than they do now.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Overtime

I don't feel the location of the solar matches up with the movie, plus would this have been erected before they both got out?

First of it could be the second EVA of Apollo 12, right?

And your right it does seem a bit out of place.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Got me there haha, but at least you agree the solar is way right of the movie object
It appears to be Allen Bean of Apollo 12 in the thread clip thanks to contributers.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dreampsi

A common misperception, when watching recordings from those missions.

In one video I saw of mission control telling them where to aim the camera, MC says "move it a little to the right" and it gets moved almost immediately!

What you cannot know, unless you check the source thoroughly, is WHICH 'side' of the communication the recording is coming from.

IOW...IF it is the part that ONLY the Astronauts heard from their POV, then THEY heard the request from MC, a request that had been made a second and half before, roughly...and moved the camera in response.

So many of the recordings and videos that have been pieced together, and edited down for entertainment, use a variety of different clips, and it causes an illusion that the communication was instantaneous.

Listen long enough, you will catch moments where an Astronaut has an open mic, as he's responding to Earth...and WHILE his mic is keyed open, another comment is coming from MC...he hears the first one, begins to respond, and on EARTH the CapCom adds a bit more, without waiting for the first response to come back. Sounds confusing, but when you hear those cases, it makes sense immediately to you, and completely disproves all the "hoaxers" out there....

(Unlike the usual two-way radio communication some may be familiar with, like on a boat or airplane radio, on Apollo the transmit and receive could be done simultaneously).

Guess they had better equipment then than they do now.

Well...no, if you're talking about the speed of light, and the limit that ALL EM radiation has on it...and, no...equipment today would be considered "better", I suppose....only because it's newer.

More miniaturization, advances in mic and earphone technology perhaps, but the underlying principles haven't changed much.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I think it's Apollo 14. Note the location of the solar wind collector and it's relationship to the shadow of the LM. Note the bend in the shadow of the collector as it crosses the shallow crater next to it in this panorama.
history.nasa.gov...

Compare to this:

I think that we are seeing the collector edge on in the video. Makes sense, it is set up with its "face" toward the sun. The video is taken cross sun.

[edit on 6/23/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ill be darned, it is 14. Look at the pic side by side w/ your pic and notice the solar pole is in a much closer position. Its not really even close if you compare the two for location, shape, size is it?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

This adjusted image by PennyQ shows that it is in the right location. The "tower" is not far away from the LM, it is close to it.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b1a9de05e6b3.jpg[/atsimg]

The shape is different because the solar wind collector is a flat piece of foil (slightly warped). At the top of the collector is a tube with a disk on the end of it. Imagine, if you can, that you are looking at it from the right edge, the direction from which the video was taken.
history.nasa.gov...

It is the solar wind collector.

[edit on 6/23/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You know what, amazing it is Apollo 14!

Wow awesome find. the more I actually looked at the positioning of AS12 Solar experiment I knew it had to be a different flight.

And look at the image you included, it has the shielding bend that I had brought up before.

Good find!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage, pretty tough to deny the shadow evidence.

I see it in the movie shot now.

Looks like you figured it out

It looks so far away

Amazing!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Apollo 11 was not near Apollo 14

www.lpi.usra.edu...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Apollo 11 was not near Apollo 14

www.lpi.usra.edu...

[edit on 23/6/10 by fever]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by fever

Yes...everyone knows that.

Your point???

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by fever

Nothing about 11 is being talked about

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Well overtime you might see this often were the trolls jump in and have no clue about a thread, ever!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability

Well overtime you might see this often were the trolls jump in and have no clue about a thread, ever!

I hear you.
Hey, thanks for hanging with me when I still thought I had something here.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join