It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need a "Vote Off Troll" button.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

I see exactly what you are saying but,
I'll ask you one question.....

How many FULLTIME people would it take to effectively take over ATS???

Given how many actually post in sensitive threads I would say maybe 20-50 could control a thread...

And thats accounts, not members...

Although against T&C I could easily control 5-10 accounts...

[edit on 21-6-2010 by virgom129]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

What is a 'good troller' out of curiosity? And If you don't like what a member (troll) has to say then just ignore them (I'm not talking about the ignore button)

A troller that knows how to be a troll without directly breaking T&C.

Maybe I should. That's not in my character though, I feel they should be called out, they often leave comments that could make interested people leave, or not get into, a discussion.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

To be honest, I dont know.
But if a thread is going well, isnt it up to the ''genuine'' people commenting on it to keep the topic on track.
By sticking too the topic.

Dont take the path over the bridge towards the troll... Simply walk through the river.

Even if you do get your feet wet.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

lol, good words mate, but I dont get my feet wet, I get soaked..

I dont take well to some, If you know what I mean...

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
it actually really pisses me off quite a bit when all of the old guys on this website just post jokes or stupid joke pictures that have nothing to do with the thread. and then those useless posts get all the stars and then everyone who thought it was funny gets the idea that it's ok to just joke around in every thread and not make every post count or contribute in some way to the thread besides their own curt, often awkwardly humorless post that is probably just their own baseless and frayed opinion.

this entire website in general has dropped off a cliff. there are the stalwart posters that i really respect and admire. but i used to check this website every day, and as often as i could at one point. now i avoid it because i know all the junk that's i'm forced to sift through.

and why joke/troll/mock/blatant and arbitrarily rebellious to the current sentiment thread aren't deleted sooner, really pisses me off.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Hey mate, won't happen, don't waste your time.

I'm not for it or against it per se, but it just won't happen.

Staff response: hit Alert and it will be modded if it is against the T&C.

But trolls still operate, some even strutting their stuff here.

Like others have said, the best thing to do is to ignore them. But it really is a shame that this site places political correctness in the form of its T&C above common sense. If common sense were even given a chance when evaluating blatant trolling efforts, half of them still wouldn't be here. Not all trolls are stupid, there's a new breed emerging who sneak in between the T&C but do just enough damage to cause a thread s**t-storm. This is not an attack on mods... I'm not saying anyone doesn't have common sense, rather there are situations where something clearly should be done but nothing happens.

If obvious troll is obvious, ignore.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
There is no way of dealing with trolls other than calling them out for trolling; however, calling someone a troll is against T&C.

ATS really fudged up when creating that rule.

There are some blatant trolls on these forums, they derail threads and bring down the sites overall credibility . . .

I'm normally good at coming up with creative solutions to problems, but the only way i see the troll situation on this site being handled is if you can call out the trolls.

The veteran members of this site should not have to resort to blocking the trolls, because then the troll posts go unchecked. If all the experienced members block the trolls, the novice members who are unaware of the situation will become frustrated and disenchanted, eventually leaving the site . . .

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
It's plainly obvious to some who the (professional(?)) trolls are. It is a shame that otherwise fruitful discussion leads to: "I'm right". "No, I am".

The problem with deleting when it reaches 50 "anti-flags" is that it will make censorship easy-done for anyone. All you need 50 co-ordinated accounts (or, dare I say, a government department) to stop any thread you wish.

There really is no way to deal with trolls effectively, without imposing censorship.

Constant bickering gets tiresome so I say just ignore them. Easier said than done because they appeal to the emotional (rather than rational) side but effective for the individual.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

There is no way of dealing with trolls other than calling them out for trolling; however, calling someone a troll is against T&C. ATS really fudged up when creating that rule.

Exactly sir!

There seems to be no common sense in some Mods, no grasp of context, no effort to look into a poster's history.

Just plain hardcore enforcing of rules. Often the people with good intentions get punished, while the obvious troll can go on with his BS.

This makes them feel more untouchable.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by JPhish
If all the experienced members block the trolls, the novice members who are unaware of the situation will become frustrated and disenchanted, eventually leaving the site . . .

Good point. If you can call them out without actually calling them out (if you know what I mean) then you can stay within the T&C.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

Put better than I did, good work mate...

The mods are in a no win situation and I don't envy them.

How to stop this is a tough call...
We all know its happening and good members are suffering because of it.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

*struts around*

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Are you a troll now?

Perhaps you're of this new breed I'm talking about?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
ATS is about the posts and NOT the posters.

We don't do witchhunts here.

Thread closed.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join