It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation

www.telegraph.co.uk

National power grids could overheat and air travel severely disrupted while electronic items, navigation devices and major satellites could stop working after the Sun reaches its maximum power in a few years.

Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

In a new warning, Nasa said the super storm would hit like “a bolt of lightning” and could cause catastrophic consequences for the world’s health, emerge
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/15/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The sun controls most of earths weather patterns. We need to keep a close eye on this because this may or may not turn into something big.
A quick side note I bet you that Al Gore and all his moronic friends and followers will blame any and all changes on global warming. from volcanos storms.

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7819201/Nasa-warns-solar-flares-from-huge-space-storm-will-cause-devastation.html]www.telegraph.co.uk[/u rl]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I am not sure what could be done. I guess we could look into making air travel safer. But the airlines will never spend a dime in the hopes that nothing will happen. Same goes with every other company or government. Also, I thought these storms travel at close to the speed of light. If I am right, is there even any sort of forewarning that a storm is about to hit us? One last thing, do we know if these storms can hurt life and not just technology?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
i noticed some interference on local radios this week and some tv channels going off the air for no reason

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure I heard about this possibility, via 2012 conspiracy theories, a few years ago. I'm not sure how real the threat really is, but as with all this damn doom and gloom, it doesn't exactly do much to lift my spirits.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I love how NASA is avoiding anything realted to 2012

[edit on 15-6-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Good, I hope it brings down all computer technology.

I will be waiting with my car with out computers in it.

Then down goes the cellphones right?

Woo, soo Hurry up already lets get this thing over with.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by UFORacer56

It takes roughly 8 minutes for light to reach the earth traveling at roughly 300,000km/s. I believe solar radiation, mass corona ejection and various gases etc travel much slower at only around 200 to 300km/s.

So, I'm no expert but we should have several days notice before the effects of a massive solar storm effect the earth.

These storms can certainly have an effect on life not just technology. If strong enough, in theory our magnetosphere could be stripped away and our planet ends up like Mercury or Venus. Also, the fact that the magnetism of the Earth is bombarded all types of animals that use the poles to migrate could be effected.

Again I'm no expert, but that's just my 2 cents on it.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
So if we wrap up all our gadgets in aluminium foil etc., will that save them?

I have lots of expensive satnav, gps, radios etc that I don't really want to bin because of some silly radiation, I'd like to be prepared.

Any ideas and no, I'm not collecting old microwave ovens, would they help though?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinveezy

I guess the movie "Knowing" is really going to come true. First the oil rig, then plane crashes and then the sun.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Hmmm, what timing, maybe the mayans were on to something, timewave zero too, these are pretty extreme predictions. I'm sure David Wilcock will be all over this in his new stuff, maybe David Icke too...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think people need to do a bit more research on geomagnetic storms and their effects on earth.

No cars will be effected, the only electrical equipment that will be damaged will be the ones plugged into the mains supply and turned on. Even then the main areas of electrical damage will be at the poles.

Trans arctic flights already alter course if the is a chance of geomagnetic activity, so worse case scenario would be the grounding of those high latitude flights for the duration of the storm.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I thought the worst aspect of a solar storm was the blowing of the big transformers at the nodes of power grids. I'm sure I've heard that it would take decades to replace them. There are only a few companies that build them and each one takes a year. These details may be wrong, I'll do some digging, but I'm sure that's where the problem lies.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Oh great. Just one more ray of sunshine in our lives to worry about--pun intended; but not directed at the OP.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SFKNOLEG74

HA i am sorry but i found your comment funny. No the movie knowing is not "Coming true" The man who wrote it did not have a crystal ball or something. Th e Deep Water oil rig was blown by BP and the sun is the sun. The writer was not contacted by god. sorry man.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

So cars with computer systems would not be affected by any solar activity?
I'm buying a new car and the idea of a computer system that makes the engine work bothers me. For reasons like this. And I also thought that if their is a computer system anyone with the correct codes could mess with it.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
double thread, already posted here 2 days ago

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

Your new car won't be effected at all.

I started a thread about the largest recorded solar storm, which occured in 1859.

That thread has got heaps of information regarding what happens in the event of such a storm.

I can't link to it atm but you should be able to find it using ATS search.

Just type in 1859 super storm.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I was watching the movie The Recruit last night, and couldn't help but think how Pacino's character discusses with the recruit on how to bring down a nation. There's an interesting scene and I thought to myself are solar flares a deflection for something else? Anyway, great reading here thank you.

new topics

top topics

join