It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Lightning, Oil Recovery is Suspended

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

After Lightning, Oil Recovery is Suspended

www.nytimes.com

BP’s ill-fated relief efforts to stop the damaged well beneath the Gulf of Mexico from gushing oil hit yet another snag on Tuesday, this time taking a hit from nature.

A small fire ignited on the vessel that is collecting oil from the undersea well after lightning struck it at about 9:30 a.m. Central time, officials said.

BP said in a statement that the fire, which started after lightning struck the derrick — the familiar looking tower used to lift the piping — was quickly extinguished, and there were no injuries. But as a precaution, the containment operation was shut down. It was not clear when it would resume.

The incident revealed the precarious nature of the BP’s effort to deal with the stricken well, which for now has no back-up plan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-6-2010 by drats]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I am beginning to wonder if the methane gas and other gases that are being released from the oil volcano are creating changes to the weather.. There was that statue that caught on fire and the flood in Arkansas. I also would like to see pictures of the vessel on fire to know that it really happened and they are not just coming up with another reason to explain all the extra oil floating around in the gulf.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by drats

I am wondering the same thing. Of course, maybe they get struck all the time anyways, but I haven't really heard of it before.

join