It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Oil spil Gases, Detect and protect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I feel I must do somthing to be preventive and reactive in the situation of gases flowing in my direction. I have searched the treads and everyone is very certain that gases are pouring out into the air and they could move to main land.

Since the gov wont tell us and IF we evac it will be to late.

So my questions are simple:

1) What Gases are coming?
2) What is the best "cost effective" way for members to detect these gases?
3) What is the best "cost effective" gas mask for all or most of these gases?

I think this info will help many and also assist in more readings around the coast if gases are moving into these area's.

Thanks for all the input and please only awnser if you know or reaserched. The wrong info in this case can cause a death instead of save a life.

Also encourage anyone who gets a detector to post up if they get any over safe lvls of gases!

[edit on 15-6-2010 by robbinsj]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Oh and anyone with gas mask/gas detector recomendations please link up where others can buy!

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUNDS FROM GULF

(in parts per billion)

1) Hydrogen Sulfide- Allowed: 5-10 ppb / in air: 1200 ppb

2) Benzene- Allowed: 0-4 ppb / in air: 3000 ppb

3) Methylene Chloride- Allowed: 61 ppb / in air:3000-3400 ppb

EPA measurements from few days ago

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Found a Hydrogen Sulfide detector but its not to cheap. Most seem to be testing tubes. Anyone know how to use a testing tube for this type of gas?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by robbinsj

Well I wouldn't worry about the H2S if it really is at 1200 ppb. If it was 1000ppm I would worry. That stuff can kill you in a single breath.

The gas workers out here (who require h2s training) have told me many times. If you smell the rotten eggs it's already too late.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by robbinsj

Well I wouldn't worry about the H2S if it really is at 1200 ppb. If it was 1000ppm I would worry. That stuff can kill you in a single breath.

The gas workers out here (who require h2s training) have told me many times. If you smell the rotten eggs it's already too late.

cornfused, so if its 1200 you would not worry but if its 1000 you would?

Is there a gas mask that can protect you against this gas???

Would rather wear my mask before I smell the rotten eggs.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Suggestion from an uninitiated and non-expert:

1) Go to your town hall.
2) Get petition forms: Purpose to summon a town meeting discuss impending health hazards which may be avoidable if precautions are taken.
3) Invite all local insurance company representatives citing this will affect their industry in the area.
4) Get local community organizations to participate in the petition; Rotary, Knights of Columbus, Chamber of Commerce, local churches, Girl Scouts, everyone. Get some local clinicians and physical therapists involved too.
5) Set a town hall meeting
6) Raise in the meeting the following specter:

Your community is subject to meteorological conditions that can bring in air masses from the gulf over the community.

Lacking any investigative reports from the government stating otherwise, it is prudent to suspect that a toxic mix of benzine, sulfide, methylene could roll over your community putting hundreds, if not thousands of citizens, in the way of exposure.

Establish a committee to design, price, and contract with any company that can establish an early warning air quality detection system on the perimeter of the community.

Send the bill to BP.

---- At least it will force the government to address the situation, rather than wait until every citizen with asthma, or the elderly and infants start dying off. or suffering.

it will also give the insurance community the opportunity to prepare the sizable bill with which they themselves will no doubt slam BP.

Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Suggestion from an uninitiated and non-expert:

1) Go to your town hall.
2) Get petition forms: Purpose to summon a town meeting discuss impending health hazards which may be avoidable if precautions are taken.
3) Invite all local insurance company representatives citing this will affect their industry in the area.
4) Get local community organizations to participate in the petition; Rotary, Knights of Columbus, Chamber of Commerce, local churches, Girl Scouts, everyone. Get some local clinicians and physical therapists involved too.
5) Set a town hall meeting
6) Raise in the meeting the following specter:

Your community is subject to meteorological conditions that can bring in air masses from the gulf over the community.

Lacking any investigative reports from the government stating otherwise, it is prudent to suspect that a toxic mix of benzine, sulfide, methylene could roll over your community putting hundreds, if not thousands of citizens, in the way of exposure.

Establish a committee to design, price, and contract with any company that can establish an early warning air quality detection system on the perimeter of the community.

Send the bill to BP.

---- At least it will force the government to address the situation, rather than wait until every citizen with asthma, or the elderly and infants start dying off. or suffering.

it will also give the insurance community the opportunity to prepare the sizable bill with which they themselves will no doubt slam BP.

Just a thought.

Great idea but unfortunently the ignorant would think Im crazy because the Gov would warn us if thre was cause for concern.... right?

No I am not wanting to try and save the ignorant at the expence of my sanity. I simply want to know how I can detect the gas lvls and what mask can save my life.

Anyone??

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I have looked into buying gas masks, but never actually purchased one. I can tell you their is a wide discrepancy in prices, from $14.99 - $300.00+. Two sites I might recommend are below.

www.armygasmasks.com...

www.cheaperthandirt.com...

Hope that helps, but if there is any way to try different ones on before buying, that obviously would be preferable. I would opt for large eyeholes and a centered respirator.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dano25
I have looked into buying gas masks, but never actually purchased one. I can tell you their is a wide discrepancy in prices, from $14.99 - $300.00+. Two sites I might recommend are below.

www.armygasmasks.com...

www.cheaperthandirt.com...

Hope that helps, but if there is any way to try different ones on before buying, that obviously would be preferable. I would opt for large eyeholes and a centered respirator.

Thanks, also found a site on masks here:
www.galttech.com...

With a cheap recommended mask here:

www.amazon.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
still can not find much on gas detectors, anyone know a goodd detector for the gases at question here??

new topics

top topics

join