It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcoholism & Sugar Addiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I recently came across a piece of new-to-me information on the process of breaking free of alcohol. It turns out that alcoholism and sugar addiction are very closely linked in terms of metabolism. I feel it is really important to share this information since so many rehab centers do not address how alcoholics need to avoid sugary foods and drinks.

So, what I gathered (the "take-home message") is that our bodies form metabolic pathways for the foods we eat. Alcohol and sugar share the same one, so by quiting alcohol, we can satisfy our body's craving for that "nutritional void" by eating sugar; this is why alcoholics crave sugar during recovery. In order to help break the craving for alcohol, it is recommended not to indulge in sweets since our bodies respond the same way to both. (i.e., sugar addiction and alcohol addiction are the same in this aspect)

One might think that it's helpful to indulge in sweets instead of alcohol -- and it is better than consuming alcohol -- but, our bodies respond similarly to sugar as they do to alcohol. So, wanting to break free of alcohol means cutting out high-sugar foods.

From this website, here are some of the bits I found really helpful:

When you quit drinking for good, your hypoglycemia can drive you crazy with cravings. Sweets and high-sugar foods will satisfy the cravings temporarily, but not with the supreme calm produced by alcohol. And if you keep eating sweets or drinking sweet drinks to satisfy the cravings, your metabolism will remain about the same. That means you’ll continue to crave alcohol to calm you down.

But if you break your sugar addiction at the same time you quit drinking, you will not crave alcohol. It’s actually easier to quit alcohol and sugar together, than it is to quit alcohol alone. You’ll learn how to do this later in this book.

--

And when you stop drinking, you can heal much of the damage from the disease if you change your diet.

(italics)So when you quit drinking, you must withdraw from both addictions: the food (or sugar) addiction of alcohol and the drug addiction of alcohol. (/italics)

In this case, cravings for both sweets and alcohol will diminish after a few weeks, and disappear after six months to a year. If you stop drinking, yet continue to eat sugar foods, your hypoglycemia will drive you crazy with regular cravings for alcohol and sweets.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Its as if that was written for me as I have been wondering how to break free of the weekly/twice weekly alcohol binge and have noticed a 'sweet tooth'. I never new the two were connected.

Cheers to you.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
candida albicans (yeast infection in the blood) works on the premise that anything with yeast in it, or that feeds yeast (which sugar does), will work on the body similarly to drinking alcohol. in fact, a person with a severe case of candida, can actually become intoxicated by ingesting yeast containing foods/ drinks, such as breads, mushrooms, potatoes, for example. stands to reason that sugar's role in it is increasing the effect by strengthening and thereby multiplying, the yeast population.

the only thing i've found to lessen the severity of a yeast infection is a yeast free diet and lactobacillus acidophilus.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by undo]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Sounds like it's better and easier to just never stop drinking alcohol

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Thanks for the info i am 4 weeks without alcohol but i have been eatan more than my share of sweets. now i know to lessen my sweets

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by glitchinmymatrix

Hello there. Actually sugar of the processed kind is forbidden at most if not all
detox and rehab facilities worth any time. That article is correct but this is well known info among health care practitioners. Upon entry to a detox/rehab you will be searched for contraband including chocolate, hard candy, drugs ...
most people have come prepared to give up what they see as their vice and end up having an easier time doing without alcohol or heroin than a peanut butter cup or whatever sweet they prefer. True story.
STH

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by stopthathurts

Of course people are searched for contraband. The facilities that I have been in do not allow caffeine (chocolate), but they do allow sugar. In fact, one place has soda vending machines in the lunch room and sometimes hands out Rice Krispy Treats for evening snack...or muffins.

The tone of your post seems like it was meant to be offensive. If you found anything I offered redundant, then the better off you are. But, some people might not have been offered the same experiences you have.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by glitchinmymatrix

I am really sorry if I came off as arrogant or snotty. That wasn't my intent and I can see that tone coming through now. Your diplomacy and tact are appreciated.
The search upon entering was a given, what surprised me was the scope of the banned items and that was a learning experience in its self. The chocolate was tough. I learned that there were an awful lot of things that a desperate alcoholic or any addict for that matter might attempt to ingest under the worst of circumstances...and sometimes even the best. The push to move towards natural sugars like fruit was strong and smuggled candy was treated almost as severely a violation of rules as the hard stuff. Especially among the alcoholics.
I know I'm getting back to you late but thanks for the exchange.
Take care, STH.

p.s. I wish you all the best with your change of style.
I truly do understand what it is you are going through.
Not that you're asking, but some of the best advice I received in regards to this quest was to not let a simple mistake set you back any further than the time that making that mistake took. You gotta swing at a few pitches before you hit it out of the park.

p.p.s. Baseball analogies seem to work really well for this stuff....or maybe it's just 3:AM. Good night.
STH

[edit on 15-6-2010 by stopthathurts]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Cheers and sugar to you!

top topics

join