It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Official Admits to Damage Beneath the Sea Floor

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

BP Official Admits to Damage BENEATH THE SEA FLOOR

www.washingtonsblog.com

As I noted Tuesday, there is growing evidence that BP's oil well - technically called the "well casing" or "well bore" - has suffered damage beneath the level of the sea floor.

The evidence is growing stronger and stronger that there is substantial damage beneath the sea floor. Indeed, it appears that BP officials themselves have admitted to such damage. This has enormous impacts on both the amount of oil leaking into the Gulf, and the prospects for quickly stopping the leak this summer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
preview.bloomberg. com

[edit on 12-6-2010 by theability]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
After looking around the news channels today, and seeing the Security guards trying to deny access to public beaches, it looks like this article has merit.

I hope for the sake of the Gulf region this isn't true, yet the facts seem to point us in a different direction.

That direction being, the situation is way way worse than anyone has anticipated.

www.washingtonsblog.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Read the link...no word there on how or why the damage below ground. Maybe they dont know yet for sure but it would be nice to know thier ideas.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This is like old news, I knew about this like a week ago.
This happened when they tried top kill or at least thats how long I have known about this. This is why the well has to keep flowing and they can't just cap it.

That is why they scrapped using the second BOP on top of the broken one idea. If they cap it, it would just keep leaking underneath and make that leak worse.
I'm pretty much convinced that the only viable fix is the relief wells.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
This won't interfere with using the relief wells, will it?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Read the link...no word there on how or why the damage below ground. Maybe they dont know yet for sure but it would be nice to know thier ideas.

Here from the article is about the reasons behind the suspected damage:

Plugging the well is another challenge even after BP successfully intersects it, Robert Bea, a University of California Berkeley engineering professor, said. BP has said it believes the well bore to be damaged, which could hamper efforts to fill it with mud and set a concrete plug, Bea said.

Robert Bea

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

This won't interfere with using the relief wells, will it?

From what I have been reading, it could, because the stability of the surround sea floor might have flows of oil throughout.

Drilling relief wells could possibly cause more damage than good.

Yet consider I am no oil drilling expert.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Oil is already leaking out through fissures where no hole was drilled. I am not very optimistic about any of their plans to fix this mess anymore.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

Oil is already leaking out through fissures where no hole was drilled. I am not very optimistic about any of their plans to fix this mess anymore.

I have to agree with you 100%. I have hope that this can be fixed, yet with the looming hurricane season rounding the bend, the devastation issue seems to be staring us in the face.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability

Here from the article is about the reasons behind the suspected damage:

Plugging the well is another challenge even after BP successfully intersects it, Robert Bea, a University of California Berkeley engineering professor, said. BP has said it believes the well bore to be damaged, which could hamper efforts to fill it with mud and set a concrete plug, Bea said.

Robert Bea

It doesnt say how the damage happened in the first place. You know how does a well bore or underground parts become damaged? They just say it was damaged. But thanks.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I don't think that there any chance, whatsoever, that this is not what has happened. This is far worse than they are letting on.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

It doesnt say how the damage happened in the first place. You know how does a well bore or underground parts become damaged? They just say it was damaged. But thanks.

I've been searching for what the cause could have been, yet unable to find a documented source.

My idea is that when the Horizon sank, it bent the well head and pipe below the surface and this is the underlying cause of the disaster.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

This is far worse than they are letting on.

I agree. And to support this, I couldn't find a recent satellite image of the Gulf online.

Hiding the real deal are they? Of course!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
I don't think that there any chance, whatsoever, that this is not what has happened. This is far worse than they are letting on.

Well at this point then and maybe it should have been asked sooner....how big is this oil pool? Lake Erie? Lake Okeechobee size? If unchecked what are ideas about how long it will leak at this rate?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
[edit on 12-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The ralife wells are being drill to a 3000 foot depth below the well head which puts them way under any possible damage to the well head or the pipe directly benith it.
The only kiker is they are trying to thread a needle from almost two miles away .
the needle being the well bore the tread being the new well they are drilling to intersect the well bore .
that is way they are not just drilling one relife well but two just in case one misses the other wont .
But it is quite possible that both will miss you are trying to drill into a tunnel 22 inches wide in 3 demenchions from two miles away .
all it takes is to be off by a foot and it just keeps spouting oil .
All i can say is if theres a god you believe on or an alien you know call them now .

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Can we nuke yet? I'd be a shame to pass on an opportunity where we could use them for something other than killing people.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I think our best option right now is to probably just nuke the planet.

If we're gonna destroy the earth we might as well go out in style lol jk.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Excerpts from prominent oil-industry insider Matt Simmons third appearance on MSNBC’s Dylan Ratigan Show, June 7, 2010:

We have an open hole that’s spewing I would guess somewhere between 100,000 – 150,000 barrels a day of oil which is why you now have over a hundred mile oil lake at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico that’s apparently four to five hundred feet deep. …

We have an open hole with no casing in it and the only way we’ll shut it off is either let it complete which might take 30 years which could maybe not only poison the Gulf of Mexico but maybe the Atlantic Ocean or to put a nuclear device down the hole…

When the hurricanes arrive the hurricane actually blows this oil on shore it will basically paint the Gulf Coast black and it will shut down the refineries, the power plants and it will be America’s worst catastrophe nightmare.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
You guys are missing what this means. The Diamond rig is leaking too. The admittance of this means worst case scenario has happened - the oil pocket depressurized and the atmospheric pressure of the water on the earths mantle has cracked the layer of sea bed above the oil reserve. It's collapsing under the weight of the water since they weren't able to pump sea water into the reserve to maintain the pressure equilibrium.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join