It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: Correction - Incidents of Terrorism Increased In 2003

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The State Department has issued a statement acknowledging that it's earlier report that claimed a decline in worldwide terrorism was incorrect. The earlier report stated that 2003 had the lowest rate of terrorism incidents in the past 34 years, when in fact, the number of incidents and victims had increased from the year before.

The Boston Globe - Correcting data, US says terrorism incidents increased in '03
WASHINGTON -- The State Department acknowledged yesterday it was wrong to report that terrorism declined worldwide last year, a finding that was used to boost one of President Bush's top foreign policy claims, success in countering terror.

Instead, both the number of incidents and the toll in victims increased sharply, the department said. Statements by senior administration officials asserting success were based "on the facts as we had them at the time; the facts that we had were wrong," department spokesman Richard Boucher said.

When the annual report was issued April 29, senior administration officials used it as evidence the war was being won under Bush.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell denied that the incorrect report had anything to do with the Bush administration wanting to appear that it was winning the "war on terror". He said that it was the result of a flaw in new data collection procedures, and that "Errors crept in that frankly we did not catch here." Analyst who reviewed the original report that came out in April said that the numbers just didn't feel right with what they were seeing in the news.

[edit on 11-6-2004 by dbates]

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Among the mistakes, Boucher said, was that only part of 2003 was taken into account.

LOL, oopsie! Seems like an honest enough mistake to make when you're doing a study that tracks trends over a 12 month period. Sometimes you just forget some of those months. Or that a year has 12. Ayoye.

When the annual report was issued April 29, senior administration officials used it as evidence the war was being won under Bush.

So it's now evidence that the war is being LOST under Bush. Finally some corroboration, though I'm not sure I should hold my breath to see coverage of any of this on CNN or Fox. It'll be on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, though, I wager.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   

a flaw in new data collection procedures

This must be some kind of new math. A year doesn't have to mean 12 months. This gives number crunching a whole new meaning. One of my co-workers always says, "If you massage the data long enough, you'll always get the answer you want."

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
They should have come and asked ATS members - they could have told the government that that statement was poppycock! lol

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Of course it has increased - if you make more enemies, it goes up. If you make more friends, it goes down. Bush has made many more enemies.

top topics

join