It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Spill Shuts the Nation's Oldest Oyster-Shucking Company

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Oil Spill Shuts the Nation's Oldest Oyster-Shucking Company

[url=http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/oil-spill-shuts-the-nations-oldest-oyster-shucking-company/]dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com[/ur l]

The oldest oyster-shucking operation in the country shucked its last oyster on Thursday, a victim of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Al Sunseri, whose family has run P&J Oyster Company since 1876, said he was about to give the news to the workers at their oyster house in the French Quarter of New Orleans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
As many of you may know, I am a Chef and Restaurant Owner. I wanted to bring this story to light in the ATS Community. I think it may give some posters some true perspective on the impact the oil spill has had not only on the envirnonment, but also in local industry...especially the food and restaurant industry.

If any of you have visited restaurants in the SE USA, especially in New Orleans, Biloxi, and the Gulf Coast of FLA, and have eaten an oyster, it was more than likely cultivated by P&J.

I used to frequent NO often (pre-Katrina) and visited P&J many times. The employees and owners are simply wonderful people who truly loved what they did. It is a terrible shame that this proud business will no longer be able to provide some of the world's premiere oysters.

[url=http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/oil-spill-shuts-the-nations-oldest-oyster-shucking-company/]dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I want to thank you very much for bringing this story to light. Please, post more topics here about what is going on during this man caused catastrophe. Please document your sources well and copy and paste what they say, so there is a record to read here, not a link that will be lost to the pages of history. Web records sometimes become invaluable in recent times to find and gauge the “Whole” truth.

For your person business I would like to highlight that you may want to advertise your sources of seafood (if you haven't all ready). Also, diversify your offerings. Find that ever elusive method that will make farm grown catfish just sing like an angel. I don't want you to be a casualty like so many others because you didn't put in the effort to do better in every way that you could.

Americans are about to learn the lessons of history that the college professors wish were not true. The first lesson is that discipline, not politics, is what matters most in professional life.

Take care, and by the way, plug your restaurant here on the post. Where are you and what discount do you have for those who say, “I saw your post on ATS”. (just and idea)

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Hot_Wings]

join