It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Splice" a review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
We had the choice today to go see "Get Him to the Greek" or "Splice"
We opted for "Splice"...mistake!

This film started with some great questions; moral, scientific and ethical and this would have been a great movie if some of them would have been addressed in depth, instead of just mentioning them in passing. But it drifted into a sexual CGI fest with phony scare tactics and trite attempts at making it a horror film. It wasn't a total waste because I enjoyed the performances of Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley. And to be honest the twist at the end caught both me and my GF by surprise and my GF invariably catches the twist and tells me during the movie, making it a bit anticlimactic for me. The perils of living with a Mensa.

best I can do

[edit on 7-6-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
My guess on it was pretty much like Species...kind of a sexy sci-fi horror movie more than something more scientific or dramatic (like say Hollow Man)...seems like you're confirming it.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Actually I don't think these kinds of flicks are even meant for the theater.
Most likely their largest profit comes from the DVD and payperview market.

All the producers I work for are gearing up for the www. to completely take over the entertainment industry with the big 1080p flat screen TVs, able to hook up to any computer and stream first run films. Old TV episodes, anything.

Filmmaking has changed so that pretty much anyone with a HD camcorder and a decent editing suite on a mac can make a feature length film. Small independents, myself included, are all running in high gear.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
There are some films though, that just need to be seen a) on a really big screen and with theater sound, and b) with an audience.....

For example, seeing Avatar for the first time at home, wouldn't have been near the same experience.

Same with horror films...(I like to hear the others scream)... Hmm...somehow, that sounds like something that will come back to bite me during a trial or something...

top topics

join