It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill Could Affect Midwest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Climatologists are watching the oil slick spreading in the Gulf of Mexico because that’s where spring and summer storms in the Midwest pick up much of their moisture.
The oil spreading after the explosion on a British Petroleum deep-sea drilling rig could have an effect on evaporation rates in the Gulf, and in turn on Midwestern weather systems.
www.sj-r.com...

This just gets worst my the minute!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I started a thread a little while ago with some questions about this, so finally reaching some other answers then speculation.

The only question mark I place with that experiment that wanted a result of less evaporation, can be used on a turbulent sea? If the water is totally cut off from air ok, but if it is mixed with the oil (yeah I know but because of the dispersants we allready noticed these "clouds" of oil) does the oil on the surface retain the warmth provided by the sun and so initiate an overall temperature rise in the "oily" regions?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
“The Gulf is a large body of water,” said Bak.

I read the article and though I hate to say it, that's probably about the extent of their disclosure to the general public. Scientists are worse than the media and politicians when it comes to greasing the coporate wheels, this could have a massive effect on the reigonal climate, but you won't hear that being comfirmed from anybody in a lab coat. Two words to remember when it comes to this kind of stuff... Grants and dogma.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zachi

One really has to wonder with all the information we have on climate, pollution, wind patterns etc whether the oil spill is an attempt to wipe out the United States. I knew that it would cause problems on the gulf and florida; but now it is going to possibly destroy the Midwest too!!!

One has to consider who is responsible? Obama has allowed a company that supposedly did this to run the operation without hindrance. In the press they shout and scream but what action have they actually done to pressure BP? No external press allowed in control room, no independent scientists allowed any where the place. Help from other countries refused!

If it was my country I would be getting a group together and forcing some action. peacefully hold a sit down on DC streets shut the place down. do the same in NY close wall street so no one can get to work and they would soon do something. probably shoot you for being domestic terrorists, but what is your alternative? let them turn you into puppets and emasculated shells of men! If the American people had behaved as they are doing now in the 1780 you would all still be British. Unless you all want to belong to an unknown and secret new country being made out of America I suggest you get off your arses and start to do something about it!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

Good question. I checked water temperature averages and found this table at www.nodc.noaa.gov...
It looks like they are already a couple of degrees higher than the average. Here is a table of averages: www.beachhunter.net...
(I tired to copy and paste, but it wouldn't format properly.)

Warmer water means hurricanes are more likely to develop. They also affect the midwest with rain fall. So, whether this will make the hurricane season more vicious or put the midwest into a drought remains to be seen. Or, worst case senario, the midwest only gets percipitation from hurricanes.

new topics

top topics

join