It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation me students have less empathy than 20 years ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Generation me students have less empathy than 20 years ago

www.telegraph.co.uk

Students used to be about all about holding sit-ins and rallies in order to fight for the rights of others.

But now they are too engrossed in their own lives to care, claims new research.

According to psychologists, undergraduates are fast losing the ability to empathise with other people.

Researchers reviewing surveys of empathy found that they have lost almost 40 per cent of the ability since the 1980s.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I found this article very interesting because I think it gives insight into why people are flipping out all over the world and shooting up schools, why more and more people are becomming mentally ill, why suicide is on the rise.

There is going to be a breaking point in the near future. Things can't continue like this.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This is all part of the sociological strains that I'm always trying to put emphasis on, but a lot of people tend to ignore.

People without knowledge about the complicated dynamics of a working social environment won't see the correlation between ideologies/events and behavioral patterns.

There are a plethora of contributors to the ethical and moral state of the masses.

-----

Capitalism relies heavily on a selfish instinct, a selfish drive. While played to be innocent and great for growth, it has been absorbed by the human mind and it is clear that massive personal profits can be made in light of sacrificing empathy.

"Business before pleasure."

"Go to school to make money, not to be happy."

"Money will make you happy."

Messages like these are infused all throughout our culture. And people think, "Why not? Money can grant me the resources that I need and want." Which is true. But unfortunately, we tend to put this paper before a lot of our ethics and rationalize it as necessary sacrifices. We ignore our humanity because money makes the world go round.

-----

Couple this with numerous political agendas flung at us from the mainstream, constant scandals and criminals unearthed. Millions of people at a time stamped untrustworthy. Massive disasters that leave people feeling incapable or powerless. – I could go on.

All these things make people just want to focus on the little slice of life they can "control."

So why worry about anything outside of themselves? It probably can't be helped anyway. Not enough power. Too much red-tape. Too many risks. Not enough time to spare. Got appointments and deadlines.

-----

All of which are good and well if you aim to continue to support the system that you are suspicious of.

Supporting the system has become more favorable than not supporting it.

It is the safest bet. Why bother with anything else?

[edit on 5-6-2010 by SentientBeyondDesign]

join