It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP ignores natural cure for oil spills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
While chemicals are sprayed on the BP oil spill, making the locals suffer from headaches and blood noses, a natural, tried and true method for the clean up is largely ignored.

Another thread here at ATS deals with the connection between the chemical company and BP.

Here is an edited article on ths natural clean up method:

"...The product, was an oil absorbent material. According to the product line manager the idea for the product came from the oil spill in Prince William Sound, Alaska, on March 24, 1989. That was the infamous date that the oil tanker Exxon Valdez ran aground and spilled 250,000 barrels of crude oil.

As I was saying, the product line manager said a curious incident resulted in the creation of his product. Scientists found that along coastlines where sphagnum moss was growing naturally, the oil almost entirely disappeared. Upon closer review they found the moss had not only absorbed the crude oil, the plant had encapsulated it. Further concerns about what would happen when the plant died revealed another surprise. The rhizoid root structure of the plant contained large barrel cells that literally captured the hydrocarbons.

It was my speed thinking at this point that took me off on a wrong direction. I assumed that the plants then died and were disposed of. "Wrong!" the product line manager told me with a look that pretty much said sit down and shut up.

It seems the plant
has the capacity to absorb ten times its own weight in hydrocarbons.
That's a pretty amazing statistic. Think of it! And then ask how is it possible. It seems that the plant was once a hydrocarbon. As a guy who has helped punch a lot of oilwells into the ground, scooped coal (above ground) and nearly flunked biology in both high school and college, THAT BLOWS MY MIND!

Now the sales pitch for the product was this: sphagnum moss can encapsulate spilled hydrocarbon products of almost any design and hold them until they decay.

"So Mr.Product Line Manager", says I, "how long do you have to hold it this used spanghum process before you can safely dispose it in a manner approved by the the USA EPA?" Then he really did blow my mind.

"Just scoop it up and throw it in the dumpster. It's EPA approved. This is possible because the hydrocarbons actually have a shorter life than than moss roots." In other words oil wears out before the plant material surrounding the oil deteriorates.

Supposedly the company made the natural product better by using a patented drying process. They claimed to have improved its efficiency from 90 to 100 percent. Maybe they improved it but I am most in awe that God, in his infinite wisdom, created a natural plant capable of counteracting our modern day use and misuse of hydrocarbons. "

hubpages.com...

www.enpromer2005.eq.ufrj.br...

Video on how it works:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
www.arkent.com...

"Coastal Oil Spills benefit from the use of peat absorbents

Oils spills on water are devastating to the environment.

This experience demonstrates the amazing speed and ecological benefits of using "dehydrated" peat absorbents for oil spill clean up. This product offers a fast and environmentally friendly method for protecting the eco-system, including plant and wildlife during oil spill disasters. With this product, the project was cleaned up in record time, not YEARS! In the case of this project, within one month the beaches were clean - and peat made the difference in the death toll of the local wildlife! "

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacecowgirl
While chemicals are sprayed on the BP oil spill, making the locals suffer from headaches and blood noses, a natural, tried and true method for the clean up is largely ignored.

Another thread here at ATS deals with the connection between the chemical company and BP.

Here is an edited article on ths natural clean up method:

"...The product, was an oil absorbent material. According to the product line manager the idea for the product came from the oil spill in Prince William Sound, Alaska, on March 24, 1989. That was the infamous date that the oil tanker Exxon Valdez ran aground and spilled 250,000 barrels of crude oil.

As I was saying, the product line manager said a curious incident resulted in the creation of his product. Scientists found that along coastlines where sphagnum moss was growing naturally, the oil almost entirely disappeared. Upon closer review they found the moss had not only absorbed the crude oil, the plant had encapsulated it. Further concerns about what would happen when the plant died revealed another surprise. The rhizoid root structure of the plant contained large barrel cells that literally captured the hydrocarbons.

It was my speed thinking at this point that took me off on a wrong direction. I assumed that the plants then died and were disposed of. "Wrong!" the product line manager told me with a look that pretty much said sit down and shut up.

It seems the plant
has the capacity to absorb ten times its own weight in hydrocarbons.
That's a pretty amazing statistic. Think of it! And then ask how is it possible. It seems that the plant was once a hydrocarbon. As a guy who has helped punch a lot of oilwells into the ground, scooped coal (above ground) and nearly flunked biology in both high school and college, THAT BLOWS MY MIND!

Now the sales pitch for the product was this: sphagnum moss can encapsulate spilled hydrocarbon products of almost any design and hold them until they decay.

"So Mr.Product Line Manager", says I, "how long do you have to hold it this used spanghum process before you can safely dispose it in a manner approved by the the USA EPA?" Then he really did blow my mind.

"Just scoop it up and throw it in the dumpster. It's EPA approved. This is possible because the hydrocarbons actually have a shorter life than than moss roots." In other words oil wears out before the plant material surrounding the oil deteriorates.

Supposedly the company made the natural product better by using a patented drying process. They claimed to have improved its efficiency from 90 to 100 percent. Maybe they improved it but I am most in awe that God, in his infinite wisdom, created a natural plant capable of counteracting our modern day use and misuse of hydrocarbons. "

hubpages.com...

www.enpromer2005.eq.ufrj.br...

Video on how it works:
www.youtube.com...

Because of this, we don't need Stupid Chemical, Stupid Artificial Bacteria, and Super Stupid Nanobots for cleaning oil spills

new topics

join