It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer At The White House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Okay, the title is not mine so pardon any miss reference or sensationalist appearance. This is about fighting childhood obesity.

Killer At The White House
www.disinfo.com...

Shawn Talbott, the nutritional biochemist behind the disinformation documentary Killer At Large, is taking his film to the White House. Here’s the post from his blog:
I’m VERY excited about my trip to Washington DC tomorrow to participate in Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! campaign to fight childhood obesity. I’m attending this event through my role as Executive Producer for the Killer At Large film and as part of the advisory board for the Chef & Child Foundation of the American Culinary Foundation (ACF).
It will be a thrill to join more than 50 chefs for the kickoff of the “Chefs Move to Schools” on June 4. This new program is part of Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! campaign and will be led by White House assistant chef, Sam Kass as a way to take the message of healthy nutrition to schools across America. Talbot

This some good news amongst so much doom and gloom recently. It is nice seeing an administration addressing something that we do have some control over, childhood obesity and nutrition(or lack of) of meals served in our institutions. I applaud Michelle's choice in issues to tackle as well as her efforts.
Sending actual chefs to create new menus for our schools sounds wonderful!

As communities and organizations get behind the First Lady’s Let’s Move! campaign to solve the childhood obesity epidemic within a generation, one group that could have a tremendous impact on the health and well-being of children is the Nation’s chefs. As part of her effort to turn policies into practical solutions for America’s families, Mrs. Obama is calling on chefs to get involved by adopting a school and working with teachers, parents and school nutrition professionals and administrators to help educate kids about food and nutrition. By creating healthy dishes that taste good, chefs have a unique ability to deliver these messages in a fun and appealing way to the larger audience, particularly children.
The “Chefs Move to Schools” program, run through the U.S. Department of Agriculture, will pair chefs with interested schools in their communities so together they can create healthy meals that meet the schools’ dietary guidelines and budgets, while teaching young people about nutrition and making balanced and healthy choices. With more than 31 million children participating in the National School Lunch Program and more than 11 million participating in the National School Breakfast Program, good nutrition at school is more important than ever. USDA

I have yet to see the Killer At Large documentary, I will watch it tonight. Here is a preview:

Killer At Large

Other Sources:
healthymeals.nal.usda.gov...

Peace

[edit on 3-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

O responses....
Oh well, I thought it was some good news for a change.

join