It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Migraine sufferers at greater risk of a stroke

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

"NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) – People who suffer migraines are about twice as likely as people without the painful headaches to suffer a stroke caused by a blood clot, according to a new research review.

Across the studies, migraine sufferers were about twice as likely to suffer an ischemic stroke as people without migraines, according to findings published in the

American Journal of Medicine (www.amjmed.com...(10)00129-4/abstract)"

I find this worrysome. I have lots of friends with frequent headaches- I sure am glad I do not ever get any. So what do you all think about this? Surprised? Not so much? If Doc Velocity is around, I wonder if you had any migranes.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This is definitely worrying news. Of course, the frequency of my migraines went way down when I became self-employed. It's amazing the reduction in my stress that one decision gave me.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
A lot of people don't know it but some are born with an AVM. If the AVM bursts or bleeds it too can cause a stroke or worse. My mom JUST went through this and is home recovering after surgery this weekend. She didn't know she had it until she was taken to Er by my dad because of headache and vomiting. They removed the mass and everything is good.
AVM's rarley get noticed because most people go through their whole life without knowing they have it. Sometimes its only after an autopsy for another cause of death that its found. People with migraines may have them more than people who don't suffer migraines (according to moms doc) also women asians and genetics.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I get the migraine aura - flashy lights around the eye, but no pain. Lasts about 20 minutes. Reduces what I can see in front of me. It's hormonal. I have often wondered about the stroke implications. Doctors just think I am weird cause I have never gotten the pain they say I should be getting.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I definately worry for the two of you then, and I wonder if there is anything you can do to reduce your risk of suffering a stroke. Since, according to the study you are more prone to one, that might be worth looking into.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Well I can confirm this, I had migraines all my life, and three years ago I had a "mini" stroke.

Thankfully the only real results of which is a slight loss of strength and sensation on my right side, nothing to noticeable though.

Oh and I was 26 at the time.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by benrl]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nathwa
I definately worry for the two of you then, and I wonder if there is anything you can do to reduce your risk of suffering a stroke. Since, according to the study you are more prone to one, that might be worth looking into.

Eat a low cholesterol diet, lots of fruit, vegies, fiber, omega 3 oils, no trans fats. Keep blood pressure normal, minimal salt. Stay relaxed, but do exercise. NO smoking.

That said, it could always still happen, but if the risks are minimized to begin with, recovery might be easier if it does happen.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Nasty, I have gotten migraines for most of my life, and so do both of my children. I also get the visual auras along with mine which can really interfere with basic life at times.

Luckily, I have been able to pinpoint certain drinks/foods which trigger some of my migraines and so I try to avoid those.

Anyway, thanks for the "heads up" about migraines.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Sounds good, I will pass that information along to people I know that have alot of headaches. You also said that stress leads to migranes? So if stress-->migranes-->strokes, I wonder if alot of people are going to have strokes in the future.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathwa

For sure. There is so much going on in the world these days, along with many people eating packaged and fast foods, full of sodium and other chemical additives. It is hard to take a step back, and relax. So many people don't even like to cook these days, or are at a loss for time, this is all compounding the problem.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by snowspirit]

top topics

join