It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Bush deserve a state funeral like Reagan?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Reagan was actually elected by the people of the United States, so he deserved
a state funeral. Nixon had a private ceremony, since he resigned before an impending impeachment (although he too was elected by a popular vote). Bush won after the Supreme Court decided to stop counting votes, citing "equal protection", and elected Bush. Under these circumstances, at the time of Bush's passing, should he be accorded a state funeral? Should his family even seek one?

EDIT: You know it's sad that I can't post this in the regular forum, just because of how these discussions go. Just because it's in the 'Pit' let's pretend it's not, and try to be civil.

[edit on 9-6-2004 by curme]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I got the impression from a news story today that laying in state actually used to be rare.

Then JFK got one. So JBJ got one too.

I understand why Nixon didn't. I guess Ford is next. Does he get one?

It wouldn't bother me if he did, it just sort of cheapens it. I guess the fair thing to do though would be to start giving them to all Presidents, because if Carter get's shafted I'll be furious.

I just don't think the world needs to stop, or the news needs to be so focused 24 hours a day for a week.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
yeah i expect a lot of bush bashing and hell no's in this thread.

but then again you already knew this hence your posting here instead of a another forum.

dirty pool mister! dirty pool! -Hank Hill

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Rant, I must have saw the same thing somewhere. Only a handful of presidents, Macarthur, those cops that got shot at the capitol a few years back, and some other ones I can't remember are the only ones that laid in state.

Reagan is a good pick because he was re-elected and he simply got a lot of votes, don't know of any other barometer to use really.

If Bush were to leave office right now (and, I know some of you wish he would
) I don't think he would deserve a 'state funeral'. But he still has another term, so we'll see.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
If it is traditional that every president gets one, then why not Bush ?
He's not the first warmonger after all.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Yes Bob, I think you're right. But didn't LBJ kind of throw the curve? Did he get elected twice? Not sure.

Two terms is good though. Reagen was a given like you said.

Reagan is a good pick because he was re-elected and he simply got a lot of votes, don't know of any other barometer to use really.

But that means Clinton gets one, and given my druthers I'd prefer Carter. But that's just me.

I think Carter though belongs more to the world now than America. At least they want him.

But maybe it won't seem so silly to some to honor Clinton in this fashion 40 some years from now. Or even Bush if he slips back in.

I just don't like the negative aspect of it. Meaning telling Betty Ford 'No Betty...married bad President." Or telling Barbara Bush..."Read my lips...No State Funeral."

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Or telling Barbara Bush..."Read my lips...No State Funeral."

Just tell it to Dubya now:

"Read my lips... No parole... No State Funeral."

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I feel that every President should have one. Regaurdless of how they may of done in office. They held the highest position that can be had in America.

I am under the impression that Nixon did not want one. It was not that he left office early or the scandals that surrounded him. He just didn't want to open old wounds, and to have a quiet funneral.

And partisian politics should not be played during these either. It makes me sick to hear all the people bashing Reagan. No class at all.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I just don't think the world needs to stop, or the news needs to be so focused 24 hours a day for a week.

THANK YOU! I thought that I was the only one to feel this way as I am sick to death of it being the only news on tv. He died, that's sad, get on with it! I am beginning to think that the media is just dragging this all out to distract us from other important news.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
And partisian politics should not be played during these either. It makes me sick to hear all the people bashing Reagan. No class at all.

Let's make a deal then. Give Dubya his state funeral tomorrow and I promise not to say a word.

[Edited on 10-6-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
What's this deserve?

He's President. So it comes with the job.

Period. Case closed

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Rant: IF they want him [carter] then they can have him. And, yeah, LBJ did throw me for a curve. Him being a warmonger and all, getting us into Vietnam. Not to mention the theories involving him and JFK, which is what I like to call 'dem-on-dem' crime

new topics

top topics

join