It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ken Griffey, Jr. Retires.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Some would say, not a moment too soon, given the performances of last season and this season...

Me? He's, forever and always, The Kid. The majestic moon shots into the darkest confines of the Kingdome. His fantastic defensive gems in that same stadium...

For a decade, he and Barry Bonds went head to head as to who was the games greatest player... Bonds, whether rightly or wrongly, is forever tainted by the stigma of steroids...where Griffey was never so much as mentioned in the same breathe as steroids, much less implicated.

Had he remained healthy in Cincinnati, who knows what his legacy would have been. It's magical enough as it is...the mind boggles.

My lasting image of him will be the backward hat, and the wide grin. Baseball was fun for him, a game. His first departure from Seattle was somewhat acrimonious, and some of us remember only too well...but this Griffey that retired yesterday when he came back, it was as an elder statesman for the game.

He saved the game of baseball in Seattle...and for that I'll be forever grateful.

Thanks, Kenny, for all the memories.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Ken Griffey Junior............

One of the greaatest all around players that the game of baseball has ever seen in its 150+ years of existance. As baseball fans, we cannot forget some of the most astounding plays that "Junior" Griffey has been apart of. Hitting what would be his last home run at the Kingdome. The spectacular catches that he has made over the years. Or the 630 home runs he has hit during his career.

With that being siad.........
You can guarantee that KGJ will be in Cooperstown.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

For a decade, he and Barry Bonds went head to head as to who was the games greatest player... Bonds, whether rightly or wrongly, is forever tainted by the stigma of steroids...where Griffey was never so much as mentioned in the same breathe as steroids, much less implicated.

Griffey, Jr.'s teammates in Seattle included Alex Rodriguez, David Segui, Shane Monahan, Glenallen Hill, Ryan Franklin, and Todd Williams—all admitted steroid users. Former teammates such as Ron Villone, David Bell and Josias Manzanillo were named in the Mitchell report too. And then there's rumored steroid abusers such as Brett Boone and Jay Buhner—again former teammates. So it's abundantly clear that steroids were widely available in the Seattle clubhouse during the 1990's.

Griffey was also known to not like to talk about the subject (PED's). Ive heard it's because it pissed him off so much that 1-dimensional players were turned into super-stars and surpassing his legend. But, Ive always wondered if there was more to this quietness on the subject. Its obvious that he was able to acquire them (PED's) if he wanted, given the list of players above. Not to mention, he grew up in baseball dugouts. He grew up in the era where Pete Rose, on his fathers team, used to abuse Amphetamines along with others (major problem in the 70-80's). Its stands to reason that Griffey was at least knowledgeable of the fact these things were around and being used (PED's).

Its also interesting to note that Griffey was really, very durable for his first 11 years (missing half of '95 with a broken wrist). It wasn't until he went to Cincinnati that he missed considerable time with nagging injuries. The types of injuries that could be caused by long-term steroid abuse? It remains a question.

Remember, Griffey hasn't been implemented basically because he doesn't look like a user (bulky). But know this. A-Rod for one, used the good sh!t. The real expensive sh!t. Primobolan its called. This is the kind of steroid that doesn't cause the muscles to retain water, which in turn doesn't make the user look overly bulky or large, but while getting stronger, faster, recuperate quicker, etc... Its is at least a possibility that Griffey was on some top of the line PED's without looking like a user.

Canseco said 70% of baseball was on PED's, and every year his story looks more reliable.

I love Griffey as much as the next fan. But, I also keep these facts in the back of my mind, incase the day he is implemented comes, I dont have to be totally shocked.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Having said all that. I really hope he's never proven a cheat. Loved the guy. I modeled my own game after his when I used to play. Hell, I even think Im Griffey when I still play beer league softball and dive for catches out in CF.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Griffey never used steroids.

He would have been the best if he could have stayed healthy.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSmith

Familiar with them? Without a doubt he was. Did he use? I doubt it. ...and hope to God I'm not wrong...

If he had...someone would have dropped the dime on him years ago. Not so much as a peep. That says a lot right there, IMHO.

The Kingdome took several years off what should have been maybe the greatest career in baseball history. What might his career numbers have looked like? 750 HR? 800 maybe? The Kingdome made him famous, but took an incredible toll on his body, too. Add to that, Griffey wasn't exactly known for his workout regimen...

Something that really bugs me is someone like Alex Rodriquez will pass him on the all time HR list sometime in the next couple to three years...an admitted cheater (Aroid, as he's fondly known as in Seattle).

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

As a Dodger fan growing up he was one of the only players I liked and admired that didnt where blue and white. Sweet sweet swing and a damn fine athlete. Should have never left Seattle, maybe would have ended up being the greatest. Alex, Griffey, Ichiro, Randy... Edgar...Seattle cant sem to hold on to them..I guess Ichiro, but you see what im sayin

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Griffey never used steroids.

He would have been the best if he could have stayed healthy.

Agreed, if he had stayed healthy he would have broken the home run record.

Unfortunately it did not happen and Barry holds it.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I was a huge fan of KGJ as a kid.

new topics

top topics

join