It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pacific islands growing, not sinking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Pacific islands growing, not sinking

www.abc.net.au

Climate scientists have expressed surprise at findings that many low-lying Pacific islands are growing, not sinking.

Islands in Tuvalu, Kiribati and the Federated States of Micronesia are among those which have grown, largely due to coral debris, land reclamation and sediment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I guess the whole sea levels rising arguments are absed around NASA's telemetry data and averages. It is very hard to measure the true hieght of theseas given tides, waves storm surges etc. There's even a height difference between oceans and even within oceans themselves. Still these figures are stark:

"Eighty per cent of the islands we've looked at have either remained about the same or, in fact, gotten larger," he said.

"Some of those islands have gotten dramatically larger, by 20 or 30 per cent.

Obviously the ones that are sinking certainly have it tough but it makes you question whether the oceans are rising to the extent suggested. Although as sugessted there are reasons this cna occur consist with teh rising sea level.

Naomi Thirobaux, from Kiribati, has studied the shape of Pacific islands for her PhD and says no-one should be lulled into thinking erosion and inundation is not taking its toll and displacing people from their land.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/6/10 by Shere Khaan]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Global Warming? That is so 00's.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Global Warming? That is so 00's.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
If that is true , it is really excellent news , i always promided myself to go .Now I may have more time to do so..

top topics

join