It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Essay About America's Former Greatness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I'm placing this article here because I consider it to be philosophy.

It is dated June 1, 2010 and is written by Dr A True Ott, appearing on his website The Story Behind the Story.

The title is "American the Great??"

It begins:

The famous French statesman and historian Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-1859) traveled widely through America in the year 1832.

He goes on to say:

Tocqueville wrote and lectured until his death in 1859 that “America is great, because America is good” and warned: “when America ceases to be good, her greatness will dissolve as well”. He also warned repeatedly that the greatest danger to America was no external enemy; but would come from within, when “the voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.” One of his most often repeated quotes was this related truth: “The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money”. . .

I like Dr Ott's suggestion here:

In a truly free “Republic” – the wages, expense accounts, and “perks” should be based on middle-American values, not on the top 10 “Fortune 500” elitist corporate execs. If Nancy Pelosi needs to be home in California – she hops aboard the red-eye public commuter plane, and flies coach – not 1st class. Maybe, just maybe, she could then listen and communicate with the average citizen whom she is paid so highly to represent. Ditto with every other Senator and Congressperson.

Dr Ott concludes the article with a plea for statesmanship:

Remember – politics means poli (many) tics (blood-sucking insects) while statesmanship means honoring the human condition and supporting sovereignty of the nation-state above all else. We need to elect statesmen, not out-of-touch, pandering politicians!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
chances are he'll be dead when police catch up either turn the gun on his self or suicide by police marksman hope it happens before anyone else gets killed.

new topics

join