It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear treaty talks on brink of failure: diplomats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Nuclear treaty talks on brink of failure: diplomats

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Talks on shoring up the global anti-nuclear arms treaty were on the edge of failure on Friday as the United States and its allies clashed with Egypt over a push to pressure Israel to scrap any atom bombs it has.

The creation of a WMD-free zone would eventually force Israel to abandon any atomic bombs it has.

The Egyptians insist the declaration must state explicitly that Israel should join the NPT as a non-nuclear weapon state, but the Americans are refusing, diplomats said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if there is any interest in actually resolving this issue. How can the US tell Iran they don't have the right of their nuclear program or even to have a nuclear bomb, when Israel is armed with nuclear weapons? The truth is I don't see how we can stop the proliferation of nuclear weapons. Specially since that technology will become available to more and more countries as time goes by.

You can't solve this with two weights and two measures. Either nobody has the nuclear bombs, or forget it. I think creating a WMD-free zone is a great idea.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I hear you, its the height of hypocracy.

This doesnt surprize me at all though. God forbib the U.S should try to influence its little gem in the middle east to take what would be some great steps towards disarmement. Which would take a little bit of the heat out of the area. Egypt is right to push for this though. You cant say one country can have nukes and others cant. Someone needs to tell the Americans, but it wont make any difference.

I think if Isreal agreed to this then to Iranians would be hard pushed to come up with any justification for there own programme. A programme we all know exists. So i think were being steered towards a war sometime in the futrure, and it wont be like ww2. It'll be ww3 the final chapter.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
maybe if the 5 arab states surrounding israel stopped calling for its destruction they would have a better chance at actually accomplishing this.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

Bingo. Its hypocritical, yes, but at the same time, Israel's nuclear weapons are what allows it to counterbalance the overwhelming combined numeric advantage in conventional forces that the hostile states surrounding them have. Remove Israel's nuclear weapons and you alter the balance of power in the region drastically. Given their willingness to kill each other, chances are the end result would be a major war.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

Thats very true awell. Theres no question that Isreals nuclear weapons are prevnting such an occurance. This cant go on forever though. Or maybe it can. Maybe they should all have nukes and fear mutual destruction. This may finnaly bring peace to the middle east.

top topics

join