It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CSIRO collaboration forms 'giant' trans-Tasman telescope.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

A 12-metre radio telescope in New Zealand has joined up with five in Australia to produce images ten times more detailed than those of the Hubble Space Telescope.

The collaboration was enabled by a recently established 1 Gbps Kiwi Advanced Research and Education Network (KAREN) connection, which transfers data across the Tasman Sea.
source

This is pretty cool.

Images ten times more detailed than the Hubble images! I doubt that "they" will allow the release of anything really interesting found with this new technology, but at least what will be released will look spectacular.

Just thought all the space explorers out there might want to hear about this.

TheAssoc.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
10 times more sensitive perhaps, but radio telescopes don't produce a visual image like the HST does. There are several other radio telescope arrays throughout the world, including the VLA (Very Large Array), in New Mexico.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JJRichey

Gotcha.

Looking back, I do believe you're correct.

Sorry, I'm easily excited when I'm caffeinated.

TheAssoc.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

No problem. Radio Astronomy itself is a fascinating subject in its own right. The visual spectrum (hubble images...) is only a tiny fraction of the measurable energy waves in the universe. Radio Telescopes help measure some of the rest, along w/ those other space telescopes that do X-Ray and Gamma-Ray imaging, etc.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
10x greater coverage is big news regardless of the spectrum being observed!

I wonder what new and mind boggling facts about the universe we will uncover with it.

Remain Vigilant

new topics

top topics

join