It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Walks Fine Line on US-Mexico Border Security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

(May 25) -- Obama administration officials leaked the news today that the president would soon send 1,200 National Guard troops to beef up security at the U.S.-Mexico border, seemingly acknowledging the increasingly desperate calls by Arizona lawmakers -- including his former presidential rival, U.S. Sen. John McCain.

Full Story

President Barack Obama will send 1,200 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border to tighten security, it was announced Tuesday. The news broke just after Republicans introduced a measure to increase border patrols. Obama is also expected to ask for $500 million to support the Guard's activities. The troop announcement, made by Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), followed a rare trip by Obama to Capitol Hill, where he appealed for Republican senators' support on his legislative priorities before the midterm elections. "It was a good, frank discussion on a whole range of issues," Obama said with a smile as walked out of the private, hour long meeting with GOP senators.

Full Story

This kind of makes you wonder if the situation is a lot worse than what some are leading it on to be.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by -Blackout-
This kind of makes you wonder if the situation is a lot worse than what some are leading it on to be.

Or just buying support. "I'll give you this if you promise to give me that."

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
He smiles and says it was a great discussion, but then you find out that what they really wanted was 5,000 troops and are not at all happy with the 1200.

I really don't follow politics much because I way past the point of be gullible enough to believe that my opinion, let alone my vote, counts for anything. But what I don't understand is how Obama was just entertaining the Mexican President, applauding his disaproval of the Arizona law and then turns around and sends troops to the border? So is it all hand shakes and smiles, "you are welcome here", or guns and "no admittance".

Has he gotten so caught up in his political a@@ kissing that he's forgotten what his stance really is?

Unfortunately, he represents the rest of us, regardless of what the majority thinks.

Either we commit 100% to enforcing our borders and sending illegals home, or we dont. This half-a@@ed political petting needs to stop and real action be taken. This is evident in not jut the border issue, but MANY other things!!!

[edit on 26-5-2010 by westcoast]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I already thought that number was too low.

Maybe he thinks it can be done like Afghanistan/Iraq, just ask NATO for more soldiers.

this is a drop of water on a burning hot plate...

top topics

join