It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Internet Explorer keeps losing users

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Why Internet Explorer keeps losing users

www.infoworld.com

Maybe Redmond should hurry up with IE 9, before it loses the rest of its users. According to the latest data from Forrester Research, business market share for Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE6 through IE8) has slipped nearly five percent, while Firefox and Chrome are on the rise.

To keep things in perspective, that's a slip from from 77.2 percent in April 2009 to 72.5 percent in March 2010.IE still has triple the market share of its nearest rival, Firefox, which enjoyed a three-percent bump, from 17 to 20 percent. As for Chrome, Google's PR folks can happily trumpet that Chrome has tri
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.chron.com

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

It's a shame for Bill Gates' Microsoft for their Internet Destroyer web browser to progressive wane in the browser market.

Too bad the computers at my TAFE college campuses use Internet Destroyer 7.

Do you hate the Internet Destroyer? Feel free to reply.

www.infoworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I heard that they don't go by the standards for the web. Then IE is hooked into the OS and not sand boxed thus allowing hacking programs to do their thing.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Its just a terrible product, thats all. Its slow, easily compromised, picky about how it renders code (PNG graphics and advanced CSS layouts) and just general a pain. If I write a site to look good in IE it will invariably be broken in every single other browser out there.

As an example at the company I work for we rolled out IE7 a few months back on every computer in the office, suddenly our internal inventory system will no longer work properly because it was designed around IE6 and anything other than that breaks.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I hate IE and never use it; however, I can not get my windows updates without it. Is there a way around that?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by texastig
I heard that they don't go by the standards for the web. Then IE is hooked into the OS and not sand boxed thus allowing hacking programs to do their thing.

For more information why IE sucks:

IE sucks
Reasons why Not to use IE
Why Internet Explorer 8 still sucks balls

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I hate IE and never use it; however, I can not get my windows updates without it. Is there a way around that?

You mean updates for your Windows OS?

Follow these simple steps:

1. Go to 'Control Panel'
  2. Select 'Automatic Updates'
  3. Select the 'Download updates for me...' radio button option
  4. Click 'Apply', then 'OK'

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ironfalcon

You mean updates for your Windows OS?

Follow these simple steps:

1. Go to 'Control Panel'
  2. Select 'Automatic Updates'
  3. Select the 'Download updates for me...' radio button option
  4. Click 'Apply', then 'OK'

Yes, that's what I was looking for. Thank you! I suppose I just assumed that I had to keep IE to get the updates....whew!!! Bye-bye IE.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I haven't used Internet destroyer for years,it was always slow & clogging up my system,i was told about firefox & as they say the rest is history.
i still have internet explorer but i very very rarely use it.it doesn't suprise me people are leaving it slowly

[edit on 7-6-2010 by rhynouk]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
As a web designer, I loathe Internet Explorer.

Thanks to IE, you couldn't follow web standard coding when building a site, because IE didn't adhere to those standards, and virtually everyone used it. It's better now that IE complies to standards, but the damage has already been done, I'll always hate Microsoft for that.

One reason why IE is slipping lately is probably because Microsoft now have to offer alternative browsers on new versions of Windows in Europe, after getting sued by the EU. Source

Also, Microsoft used illegal business practices to make IE the most-used browser in the world, and killed off Netscape Navigator. The sooner IE dies, the better.

top topics

join