It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Power of a Dictator: The "Right" to Torture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
infowars.com...

Sure, Bush is a dictator -- they're admitting that by claiming that he has the "right" to torture terror suspects. Never mind that this is the kind of power and activity that justified our pursuit of Saddam Hussein...If the Pentagon and the men he put in power say he's above the law and that he has "supreme authority," then we must all trust in the judgement of our all-powerful leader...

US 'not bound by torture laws'

BBC
June 7, 2004

A Pentagon report last year argued that President George W Bush was not bound by laws banning the use of torture, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The document also argued that torturers acting under presidential orders could not be prosecuted, the paper said.

The report was written by military and civilian lawyers for US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

It came after staff at Guantanamo Bay complained normal interrogation tactics were not eliciting enough information.

The document outlined why restrictions on torture under US laws and international treaties might be overcome by considerations for national security or legal technicalities, the newspaper reported.

Vital intelligence

The draft argued that because nothing was more important than "obtaining intelligence vital to the protection of untold thousands of American citizens" normal strictures on torture might not apply, according to the Journal.

The report contended that the president, as commander-in-chief, has the authority to approve almost any physical or psychological actions during interrogation, including torture, the newspaper reported.

It said it had reviewed a draft dated 6 March, 2003, and had not seen the full final report.

But people familiar with the final text said there were few substantial changes from the draft version, the Wall Street Journal added.

It is not known whether President George W Bush has ever seen the report.

The Bush administration has said it supports the Geneva Conventions and humane treatment for detainees.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I think torture should be used in war. War is dangerous. War is messy. War hurts. Once you realize that you'll get over it.

I never saw the words "the president has the RIGHT to torture" anywhere in that article. Perhaps he has been granted the ability to allow torture of prisoners or something, but that doesn't mean he was given the RIGHT. You know what I mean? Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly...

In all reality, the US can do whatever it wants. The US is a sovereign nation, and the president is a sovereign leader. We abide by treaties and laws basically as a favor for other nations, but really no one can tell us what to do. It's in the Constitution. So if the president wants to allow torture of prisoners, cool. It's war. Like I said war is dirty and requires bad things.

EDIT: Let me add, that when I say using torture is fine, I don't mean we should just randomly torture every prisoner we capture. But if theres reason to believe that person has information that would be vital for the defense of the nation, than so be it.

I'm not condoning torturing prisoners for every little thing, so don't take it that way.

[edit on 8-6-2004 by Faisca]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is just yet another blatant abuse of the Geneva Convention that Bush and his underlings have committed.

Had he been the leader of any other country, the UN would have called for his arrest long ago. I really do not see at all why so many Americans love him, he is an international criminal, plain and simple.

Torture is a barbaric practice that has no place in contemporary warfare, no matter whom one is fighting. Should the US fight terror with terror? The thought of such is probably on the minds of many "neo-cons" but they should first considder the grave consequences first.

I believe the United States is currently fast becoming a rogue nation, lead by a theocratic madman who would probably even commit genocide if he believed that his "God" told him to.

Very Shameful
~Astral

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   

by Faisca
I think torture should be used in war. War is dangerous. War is messy. War hurts. Once you realize that you'll get over it.

Yeah, and you see that opinion a lot when Americans are victims of torture.

It's another example of 'do as I say, not as I do'. Torture is unacceptable. End of story; It's still seems unacceptable in the U.S as long as they're condeming another countries use of it.

top topics

join