It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You gotta think, our modern knowledge and technology isnt even a century old

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
We really didn't start to develop until the early 1900's. We really are the new kids on the block in the grand scheme of things. However on the other hand we have been making exponential progress since the 1990's. I'm not sure if all civilizations are able to do this but we seem to be able to. Our knowledge quickly accumulates towards advancement.

So I don't think it will be long before we really come across some universal revelations. I say we will have interstellar spaceships by the year 2250. Now imagine a civilization only 100 years ahead of us. Their tech would seem like magic to us. How about thousands, millions, or even billions of years ahead of us? Why would they seven stick around in this universe? Perhaps each member ascended into godhood creating their own universes.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I agree, the last 100 years has been a whirlwind. But, you also need to take into account social and political structure when trying to imagine what the future brings. Our modern life today is a product of capitalist freedom. Since that seems to be going the way of the dodo progress may not continue at the same pace as it did before.

Also, remember that all progress reaches a plateau before going any higher. I think we are there now. Sure, things come fast and furious nowadays, but we have been building on the past in terms of advancement. Sure, this doesn't apply to things like the wheel or fire, lol, but it still applies. Plus, gone are the days where the little man can readily change the world. It will happen again, over and over for sure, but with less frequency as things get more complicated. Plus, I think many of the inventions today are like the invention of the laser almost 50 years ago; a solution looking for a problem.

I'm you could take someone from our time period and plop them down 100 years from now, they would probably be able to cope pretty easy, far easier than if you took someone from 1900 and set them down in the year 2000 for sure.

But the whole thing does make you wonder, doesn't it? Imagine an alien society that gets past the self imposed barriers we currently suffer from, and progresses on to things we can only imagine.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Advancement of what though. For the most part our advancements go toward military action. Until a society can live together in pure peace, they cannot advance beyond their death.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I agree with the sentiment of your post OP. This planets science has taken on a much more active role in everyday life in the last hundred years or so , but it is important to remember that previous to that, there were hundreds more years of study, questioning, probing, and trial and error. I believe that we are now at a stage where trial and error will once again prove more effective than assumption... however though the benifits of trials are massive in thier scope for enlightenment, the power we can harness now, makes error a truely frightening prospect for all mankind, and we must be sure not to let our technological advancement out run our cultural advancement.
Down this path mayhem and destruction lie.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

That is true. I believe practical science will always out do theoretical science since...well it is what actually works for us.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
It's funny that you mention this, as I was just discussing this in a post about Area 51 and the declassified technology that has come from there.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is a very interesting thread.

The thing is, in the last 80 years or so, we have advanced exponentially more that at any other time in human history.

There have always been intelligent people, and they have had creative ideas, but the advancement that we *know* of is extreme.

When I say that we know of, it is because we are probably many, many years further advanced than what the government will allow us to know or is willing to share.

If history is any evidence, it can be 40-60 years before the technology we are *currently* using is even released to the public.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Forget interstellar aliens, think of how many civilizations could have flowered and bloomed off into space or into another dimension just from this planet if it only takes less than 200 years from gaining independance from britain to going to the moon? And the combustion engine wasnt even invented until about the last 50 of those years. Maybe we are the only ones who were slow and stupid enough to stay here this long and litter our useless old tech all over the planet. The government wants us held back and not to be in contact with any other life because we will all be forced to evolve to a state where our power structures will disintegrate. There will still be people who command respect from their peers, but for reasons commendable, and the respect will be given voluntarily not out of fear. The kind of person who has power in this world that we are used to, woukld just be a normal citizen in this new awakening that would occur if we were all allowed to know what technology exists and what secrets of our past have been discovered and kept secret or changed beyond recognition. And you really can`t blame them for wanting their power and privelige. I grew up poor. And I remember as a young man I got my first car at 18, a year later I lost it and couldn`t afford another one for a couple of years. Well that couple of years was hell. Not because my life was devastated by not having a car, but just because I got used to having the freedom that technology allowed me. Tech is addicting like a drug. It gives you power which is even more addicting. My point is, I can remember clearly what it felt like to have power taken away. My question is, when will they all stop acting like the teenager who lost the car, or is about to, rather?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by genma

In the year 2250 we will probably look something like this

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/340aaa1f55ff.jpg[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

join