It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Power of Christ (as an Archetype)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'd like to start off by stating that I am not a religious nutcase, I'm just a regular nutcase. And this is not a religious thread. I don't mean to trample anyone's beliefs here, all I ask is that you respect mine.

My main area of expertise is dreaming, in particular dream control. As an avid lucid dreamer, I've always wanted to know why sometimes attempts at controlling dreams fails. After many year of study and experimentation, I reached the conclusion that the key to reliable dream control comes from using stable, well defined archetypes, not belief as many people claim. I also suspect waking reality is merely a dream, and dream control methods work for the most part the same in reality as they do in dreams, but that's another story.

Now back to the topic at hand...

There was a Coast to Coast AM show all about people who invoked the name of Christ when encountering paranormal or ghostly phenomena, even though they did not believe in God at all. They did this out of sheer desperation and fear. Despite their lack of faith, calling upon Jesus still worked to banish whatever evils beset them.

I sometime listen to Paul and Ben Eno's radio show on BehindTheParanormal.com. They are experienced paranormal investigators, and I've heard them mention that they sometimes invoke the name of Isis to banish the entities they encounter.

My theory is that this "invocation" works not because the names called upon are real people or gods, but rather that they work because they are rock solid archetypes. No matter the denomination of your faith, or where you live in the world, there is very little variation in how Jesus is perceived. According to my theories, this is where the power of Christ truly resides.

Putting it to the test

In an effort to validate this theory, I'd like to request a little ATS participation. There has got to be someone on these boards who is encountering ghost-like or seeming demonic activity. If not currently, odds are someone here will experience something similar at some point.

What I'm asking of you, is that when confronted by that type of scenario, you invoke the name of Elvis. I'm dead serious about this. I can think of no other non-religious name that has as stable an archetype as Elvis does. If I'm correct, it should be just as effective as invoking Jesus. Just say something like "In the name of Elvis, I command you to leave this place!". Be confident while using this invocation and try to infuse it with righteous emotion.

Just remember this thread if anything ghostly ever happens to you and give it a shot. I'd really like to hear how it works out.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by The Cusp]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

invoke the name of Elvis

Interesting idea. I look forward to hearing the results.

Be confident while using this invocation and try to infuse it with righteous emotion.

But if these are requirements, one might wonder what the significance of calling upon an archetype is. Why not be confidant, infuse with righteous emotion, and simply say" I command you to leave!" without bothering with the "in somebody's name" part?

I can think of no other non-religious name that
has as stable an archetype as Elvis does.

Ok. But even if we accept your premise, why presume that it is simply the collective mental solidity of an idea that matters? For example...would you consider calling upon Cthulhu to banish your demons? Or Satan? These are also well established archetypes, but the archetypes that are established are not in any way connected to getting rid of demons. And so far as I know, Elvis also has no such connotation.

Why not call on the powers of kitchen sinks? Or water? Or longcat?

Jesus as an archetype is well connected to the idea of protection and removal of demons. That may be significant.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Apparently this theory has been tried before, with unfortunate results;

"Then some of the intinerant Jewish exorcists undertook to pronounce the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying "I adjure you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches." Seven sons of a Jewish High Priest named Sceva were doing this. But the evil spirit answered them; "Jesus I know, and Paul I know- but who are you?" And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, mastered all of them, and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded."
Acts ch19 vv13-16

[edit on 16-5-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
have you considered that 'ghostly' spirits are brought about because
of ones belief in the Jesus or Christ meme/archtype.

That those haunting entities only exist in ones own psyche because of the seed planted in ones mind that there is a savior actor.

in my psyche, the one with a goddess creator, nurturer... there are no mischevious entities with evil intent, only ruthless human characters

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
An interesting theory. As one posted said earlier, I think it's less about the archetype being invoked, and more about the belief the one invoking has in themselves and that which they are invoking.

It would be interesting to see if Elvis' name could banish the "demon" Belial. More interesting, I think, would be to find an atheist - who would be willing to - and have them perform an exorcism.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
But if these are requirements, one might wonder what the significance of calling upon an archetype is. Why not be confidant, infuse with righteous emotion, and simply say" I command you to leave!" without bothering with the "in somebody's name" part?

True, that would most likely work. But I consider strong emotions the power source, and archetypes the device that power runs through. In all likely hood, it's the experiencer's fear that that causes things to take a negative turn, and using Elvis is such a ridiculous concept, I think it would help override that fear.

Ok. But even if we accept your premise, why presume that it is simply the collective mental solidity of an idea that matters? For example...would you consider calling upon Cthulhu to banish your demons? Or Satan? These are also well established archetypes, but the archetypes that are established are not in any way connected to getting rid of demons. And so far as I know, Elvis also has no such connotation.

I've seen no evidence of "collective" archetypes, only ultra personal ones.

And I still stand by Elvis, with his black belt and all those lame movies he made where he beats the bad guys and saves the day. Of course you probably wouldn't want to call on fat Elvis. "Save me fat Elvis!"

Originally posted by LordBucketWhy not call on the powers of kitchen sinks? Or water? Or longcat?

That's a good point, but I would argue that the kitchen sink is too simple of an archetype. Plus it's not very stable, since we've all seen hundreds, if not thousands, of different kinds of kitchen sinks. I don't think those examples would have the required cohesion.

Jesus as an archetype is well connected to the idea of protection and removal of demons. That may be significant.

Without a doubt, that's a very important factor, which makes Jesus a good all around go to archetype. If you want to get specific there are patron saints of just about everything, even one for butterflies. But I still think Elvis is a unique archetype that would have some power behind it.

Originally posted by St Udiohave you considered that 'ghostly' spirits are brought about because
of ones belief in the Jesus or Christ meme/archtype.

That those haunting entities only exist in ones own psyche because of the seed planted in ones mind that there is a savior actor.

I tend to think it's not the beliefs that manifest those things, the beliefs only "flavor" them, like seeing things through different colored glasses.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by The Cusp]

top topics

join