It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man pops bag of potato chips on bus and is accused of Terroristic Threats...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Man pops bag of potato chips on bus...

Firstly, let me clarify, the headline is a fabrication (hence the Skunkworks thread), however, this thread does represent a sincere intention to ascertain whether people would actually believe it.

Is it believable that a person could be charged with 'terroristic threats' based on the action of popping an empty bag of potato chips on a crowded bus and giving people a little scare?

The sad truth is that if you opened up this thread then you probably thought that there could be some truth in it, notwithstanding the idea that you simply wanted to debunk it - this former conclusion is in itself an indictment of our current western mentality, whether in the US or in Europe.

I recently read a thread concerning a young boy with autism who had drawn a picture where a stick figure labelled as the child was shooting at a stick figure representing one of his teachers. The thread can be found here. This young boy was apparently charged with 'terroristic threats'.

Therein lies the rub, the complete nonsense of the 'potato chips' is just as believable as the problems this young boy has actually faced recently and this clearly indicates that the concept of 'terrorism' is wildly out of control as it has been for many years now.

Irrespective of the events of Europe during the 16th and 17th centuries, think back to the fantastical Salem Witch Trials in the US, all made possible as the result of hysterical allegations based on the prejudices of a group of ignorant people. Here is a Wiki quote which has a particularly relevant summary sentence:

The Salem witch trials were a series of hearings before local magistrates followed by county court of trials to prosecute people accused of witchcraft in Essex, Suffolk, and Middlesex counties of colonial Massachusetts, between February 1692 and May 1693. The episode has been used in political rhetoric and popular literature as a vivid cautionary tale about the dangers of religious extremism, false accusations, lapses in due process, and governmental intrusion on individual liberties.

We seem to have forgotten the vivid cautionary tale!

The reality is that terrorism itself is not ripping our society apart - no more than the outlandish antics of supposed witches directly affected 17th century Salem, yet in both cases it is the actions of those with institutionalised power that spread social unease based on lies and scare tactics - it might be said that the response to 'terrorism' (or witchcraft!) provides the true 'terroristic threat'.

If we could fast forward 200 years from now, how appalled would we be to see the actions of official bodies in our own time - the same way that we can be appalled at the nonsense actions of magistrates against so-called witches back in 1692? ignorance is not an excuse even for the 17th century - certainly, that is the motto of ATS!

Our civilisations really have not advanced in 200 years yet everything we need to know about the reality of events is right before us.

We really need to sit up and take notice of stories like this. We need to reclaim individual responsibility and prevent officialdom from promoting the agenda that they claim to protect us from.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I opened this thread wondering if it were the KYstone Kops from my city.

I recently posted a thread where kids were charged with terrorism for a prank in the park here in Louisville. The pranksters were charged with making Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Unfortunately this headline is believable.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Y'know, I actually thought this was going to feature a real article. I think that one day it might just become one. Seriously, this world is becoming more of a parody than one worthy of living in at times. Y'know what distracts us from thinking about stuff like this? Shiny things and hi-def boobies on 40"+ televisions.

Perhaps post masturbation guilt comes from the subconscious realisation that our existence is becoming a joke.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SugarCube

I think this could actually happen. The world has become so stupid...

This one did actually happen:

Felony charge for teen who tossed Mexican "missile" at car as prank

A South Carolina teenager is facing a felony charge for throwing a "deadly missile" at a moving vehicle. The armament in question was a burrito.

A BURRITO???!!!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
Y'know, I actually thought this was going to feature a real article. I think that one day it might just become one. Seriously, this world is becoming more of a parody than one worthy of living in at times. Y'know what distracts us from thinking about stuff like this? Shiny things and hi-def boobies on 40"+ televisions.

Perhaps post masturbation guilt comes from the subconscious realisation that our existence is becoming a joke.

wow...well said in a perverse way...i'm still laughing...i accuse my wife of only wanting shiny things

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Firstly, let me clarify, the headline is a fabrication

On a slightly unrelated note, I'm curious to see how many replies this thread will get from people expressing shock and dismay that a man would be so accused...because they didn't bother to read the post.

And yes, I too came to this thread thinking it completely plausible that it might have happened.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I can't imagine how pissed off I would be if I got dispatched to an incident like this. And yes, we DO get called a lot for VERY PETTY stuff that we have to explain to the complainant isn't against the law, or doesn't meet the elements of an actual crime so we ARE NOT taking any action....this would be one of those cases.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
I can't imagine how pissed off I would be if I got dispatched to an incident like this. And yes, we DO get called a lot for VERY PETTY stuff that we have to explain to the complainant isn't against the law, or doesn't meet the elements of an actual crime so we ARE NOT taking any action....this would be one of those cases.

Good for you!! BUt, the majority of cops would find a reason to arrest if they were called out....hence burrito assaults...silly.

If a cop gets a call and has a chance to either arrest a kid or let them walk, generally they will arrest and let the system let the kid go later if he can get a lawyer, etc.

It gladdens me that you are willing to take a good look at cases, but sadly too many cops just charge and forget.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SugarCube

Firstly, let me clarify, the headline is a fabrication (hence the Skunkworks thread), however, this thread does represent a sincere intention to ascertain whether people would actually believe it.

Is it believable that a person could be charged with 'terroristic threats' based on the action of popping an empty bag of potato chips on a crowded bus and giving people a little scare?

At first I though of not replying to this post .. but I will after all ...
I wouldn't doubt that this could have happened .. as stupid as it is ..

This is all a result of the fear through lies that has been in instilled in peoples' minds .. 80% of Americans fall into that category of naive and easily manipulated people .. thanks to bush, dick, and company .. that have succeeded in making them prisoners of their own narrow minds ..
You can only rule and get support for mass murder of innocent people elsewhere by instilling fear and hatred in your own people ..

The word 'terrorist' has become a household cliche .. even little kids who used to play cowboys and indians .. now talk about terrorists ..

Volumes have already been written on this mind-f*#k of the century .. it's one thing to be a prisoner in a room .. and another to be a prisoner of your own mind .. all I can say is free your mind before it's too late .. before your individuality and humanity is completely erased by fear and lies ..

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
In this day and age, everyone's a terrorist.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by richierich
Good for you!! BUt, the majority of cops would find a reason to arrest if they were called out....hence burrito assaults...silly.

If a cop gets a call and has a chance to either arrest a kid or let them walk, generally they will arrest and let the system let the kid go later if he can get a lawyer, etc.

It gladdens me that you are willing to take a good look at cases, but sadly too many cops just charge and forget.

Now richie we can't go agreeing to too often...I am far to used to arguing with you over stuff...
, but on this matter I think we will see eye to eye. I agree there WILL be officers out there that would charge and let the courts decide, or officers being TOLD to charge by supervisors...and I agree thats BS. But again, IMO I think an overwhelming majority of officers would agree that IF an incident such as this occured there would be no charges filed and most of us would be frustrated that someone actually called us for that.

[edit on 5/15/2010 by rcwj1975]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
well it wasn't cops, but when i was in 7th grade, i popped my paper lunch bag in the lunch room after finishing my meal, i didn't know it was a big deal, but they suspended me for a week, i couldn't believe it.

That was back in the 90's.

I imagine if a kid were to do it today, they would be expelled and labeled a terrorist

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Well a Bean burrito could be a weapon of close distance destruction. Well ok it could clear the immediate area if used properly.

Seriously. I think the OP has a point. It's getting stupid. Everyday we hear ridiculous stories in the news, online and in the papers. I'm not sure whose IQ is falling faster? The authorities or the sheeple that allow this crap to continue.

It's almost as if it's a race to the bottom.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Well previous posters have mentioned hysteria. I would also mention that most people seem to be ahistorical and lack any notion of history. Yes we are doomed to repeat Salem and the War of the worlds.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by Tiger5]

[edit on 15-5-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5
Well previous posters have mentioned hysteria. I would also mention that most people seem to be ahistorical and lack any notion of history. Yes we are doomed to repeat Salem and the War of the worlds.

You are quite right Tiger5 and the dismal truth is that we probably have at least 10 more years of this to come. The US fairly rapidly came to its senses regarding the issue of witchcraft, except for some very specific geographic areas. Europe was much the same at this point although there were some cases tried even in the 18th century.

The point is, direction had to come from influential official bodies (e.g. The Vatican and individual governments or heads of state) and represented a licence for the mania to subside. The same would have to happen now, the governments of the world would have to proclaim the true nature of terrorism and themselves believe that the public is willing to accept some casualties in the name of freedom - the 'Americans' believed in this argument when they fought against the British in order that Independence could achieved!

We don't quite have that spirit of liberty that prevailed in the 18th century. We need to fight for independence from the tyranny of subversive fear, not from terrorism itself but from the insidious suggestion that it is all around us. People who wish to use violence to make a point will always exist, personally, I would rather retain true freedom and accept that some people will kill others in their misguided effort to suppress it.

On a lighter note, I wonder if they'll be making TV shows way in the future about fictional teenage terrorists much as they have made them about witches - "Sabrina the Teenage Mujahid", "Beterrored", "Bell, Book and Rucksack"?

Everyone - Thanks for some intelligent and in some cases, shocking, posts!

[edit on 16-5-2010 by SugarCube]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I opened the thread because I was hysterically laughing at myself for MIS-READING a word.

"Man poops bag of potato chips on bus and is accused of Terroristic Threats...?"

But heck, while I'm here, still chuckling that is, I might mention that after 911 the FBI wanted page was INSANE! All the bank robbers and kidnappers were listed as wanted for terrorism!

And yes, if people are stupid enough to arrest a child for finger guns or crayola guns and call it terrorism; then, they'd be stupid enough to arrest a potato bag pooper!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Haha, I like that Trexter, that has made me chuckle. Now, maybe if he had pooped out a hand-grenade...

I guess that I'm just fed up to the back teeth with the hysterical headlines and the paranoia endemic within society, fed by governmental attitudes and pandering to the worst kind of mob mentality.

I think that the one good thing is that there is a sizeable proportion of people that just do not buy it. To use an metaphor, they are the ones willing to stand up and say, 'but the Emperor has no clothes on'.

In fact, "The Emperor's New Clothes" is a clear example of the willingness of society (in general) to buy into nonsense under the direction of authority, regardless if that authority is itself blinded by its own prejudices.

Again, here is a historic example, a 'fairy tale' written in 1837 but based on even older stories (a story from the Libro de los ejemplos or El Conde Lucanor, 1335) that exactly captures the essence of the issues we face today.

If the examples of the last 700 years are anything to go by, we are doomed to repeat these mistakes but at least we can try fight for government that tries to deal with the reality of events.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Did you know people thought the world was flat ,how stupid were they?
Fast forward to 2178 .Did you know people thought they were so smart in 2010, they fought over oil and believed terrorists were after them,how stupid were they?I sometimes think we are actually going back in time and the cavemen were the pinnacle of evolution.

new topics

top topics

join