It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Color-Changing Planets Could Hold Clues to Alien Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

A new way of comparing the color and intensity changes of light reflected off of Earth's surface to the flickers from exoplanets may help reveal the presence of oceans, continents and – possibly – life on alien worlds.

Researchers came up with a color scheme for how our uniquely life-filled, ocean-soaked planet would appear to observers tens of light-years away.

By comparing the changes in observed hues of an alien planet as it rotates to this distinct Earthly color palette, "we can infer the surface composition of the [exo]planet," said Yuka Fujii, a doctoral student at the University of Tokyo and lead author of a paper published in the May 4 issue of the Astrophysical Journal.

Continued at link.

This along the lines of space, is also highly interesting to me. I can't wait until we find something, anything where it concerns concrete proof of life distant from our planet. This technology is very useful I'm also sure.

One day, it will happen.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Yes, this is fascinating. I saw the Sky at Night the other day, and they were saying how one way to detect the presence of life on other planets is to search their spectrum. So for example, our world apparently contains very complex oxygen molecules that are the result of life (vegetation I guess). Starred and flagged. Such a refreshing change from Nbiru / We Hate Obama threads.

new topics

join