It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian spy jailed for sending secret army maps to US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Russian spy jailed for sending secret army maps to US

news.bbc.co.uk

Gennady Sipachev was found guilty of sending classified Russian military maps to the Pentagon via the internet.
The maps can be used to make the targeting of US cruise missiles against Russian targets more accurate, Russia's security service officials said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.itar-tass.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NATO code compromise in Polish Plane Crash

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I don't know how I feel about this. I think our country should be well prepared but I also feel like we had no business trying to do that. This is the kind of crap that starts wars, racist nationalism, and general unrest among both societies whose majorities would probably rather than not be better equipped to kill each other.

On the other hand, I can't not acknowledge Russia's suspicious activity and handling of the Polish President's plane crash. I'd say it's pretty rational to have some level of paranoia about their government being involved in some greasy stuff.

what do you guys think?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit: I am sorry if this is a repost, I searched a while before I posted this.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by piddles]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Our countries have been spying on each other since WWII. Not very surprising. We have Americans giving secrets to China. Even US Presidents

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
4 Years in prison?

I am surprised, such a low penalty for treason, in the old days he would have faced execution.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Yeah, Its a surprisingly low penalty. Would at least expect him to be sent to work camp in Siberia...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Treason should be a capital offense, carried out anywhere in the world. Why bother keeping him alive?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
With such a lenient penatly, I have to wonder if it is a setup.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I can't believe there's a chain e-mail on the front page and this only has 6 replies. Not that I'm some kind of attention whore, I just feel I don't understand why this isn't important to people.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Not a ton of info in the article, but I suppose that is to be expected. As others have stated, I find it strange he is not being held longer. I do wish there was more info on how the files were transferred, via the internet is fairly vague. I like stories like this. I'll try to dig up some more info but whenever I say that, I usually don't.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Interesting... I wonder if the new media campaign will be to highlight some kind of spy world tit-for-tat between Russia and the U.S.? First we have the NATO codes that might have been taken from the Polish plane crash, now we hear about this...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
10 russian speis just got arrested or so they say on cnn and otheer msm
there were 2 links when i checked yet one I couldn post 2 and the other one was well i got a code 404 witch i never saw b4(c link)
anybody had this b4?or has some info on the so called spies??
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 29-6-2010 by icecold7]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
KGB is serious business. You know we'll never know.

new topics

top topics

join