It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

114 Terracotta Warriors Rise In New Excavation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Over 100 brightly colored terracotta warriors have emerged from the Chinese site of the Terracotta Army in Xi'an, Shaanxi Province state media said on Wednesday.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d057989d638a.jpg[/atsimg]

Lying alongside various artifacts, such as pots, weapons and chariots, the clay figures have been unearthed at Pit 1, the largest of the three pits at the vast mausoleum of Qin Shihuang, China’s first emperor.

Begun in June last year, the excavation has focused on a 656-square-foot patch in the main pit.

It is the third dig undertaken since the site’s discovery in 1974, when farmers drilling a well some 1.2 miles from the unexcavated tomb of the emperor stumbled upon terracotta warriors and horses.

Since then, more than 1,000 fierce clay warriors out of an estimated 8,000 life-size figures have been unearthed in the three pits.

Considered an “Eighth Wonder of the World,” the Terracotta Army was crafted more than 2,000 years ago to protect Qin Shihuang (259-210 B.C.) in the afterlife.

Continued in link.

So we have more of these guys huh. It's quite interesting how they are suppose to protect Qin in the afterlife. Must have made a lot of enemies in his time.

I haven't found this posted just yet so feel free to correct me if it is.

Funny thing is even though he was a tyrant he had beliefs in the afterlife apparently. Maybe it would have just been easier to not be a tyrant, right?

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Crossfate]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crossfate
Funny thing is even though he was a tyrant he had beliefs in the afterlife apparently. Maybe it would have just been easier to not be a tyrant, right?

The pharaohs believed in an afterlife too, they had pyramids built instead of a terracotta army, I guess if you're a powerful ruler you can build whatever floats your boat to make you happy in the afterlife.

I never heard these called the 8th wonder of the world but it sounds appropriate, they are amazing. I wonder if each is modeled from a real soldier, they are all different.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Honestly can't wait for the day they finally decide to open the tomb. It certainly is one of the last preserved, untouched and unsolved mysteries left!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlasherOfVeils
Honestly can't wait for the day they finally decide to open the tomb. It certainly is one of the last preserved, untouched and unsolved mysteries left!

I agree they seem to move at such a slow pace. Now either they are trying to do the very best job possible. [Good thing] or they are in no real hurry to discover something that would throw their perceptions of their history into a tail spin [Now sure what that could possibly be]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

There was at least one pharaoh that had clay soilders interred with him. They were not life size or made in such a large number but none the less.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I would have made mine 8000 Amazon women that would have stopped anybody who ever thought about tresspassing

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by SlasherOfVeils

I agree they seem to move at such a slow pace. Now either they are trying to do the very best job possible. [Good thing] or they are in no real hurry to discover something that would throw their perceptions of their history into a tail spin [Now sure what that could possibly be]

Maybe that the first great unifer of China was not really Chines. Just like Narmer was not Egyptian but from the Mesopotamian Valley and the proto type of Eight Deer(Iya Nacuaa Teyusi Ñaña) was not Mixteca.

Note (Nana)-Eight-Deer-Jaguar-Claw....Sumarian I-nanna

Inanna's symbol is an eight-pointed star or a rosette.[9] She was associated with lions — even then a symbol of power — and was frequently depicted standing on the backs of two lionesses. Her cuneiform ideogram was a hook-shaped twisted knot of reeds, representing the doorpost of the storehouse (and thus fertility and plenty).[10]

Source

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
isnt this just like what was found in that move "Mummy 3" with Jet Li?

top topics

join