It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we make DNA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Title sort of speaks for itself. Have we actually made DNA yet, out of amino acids? Like can we construct it, or have we only constructed RNA? Is it possible to construct DNA?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

I know we can manipulate DNA, add or subtract from the genetic code, but I don't think we've ever created DNA from scratch. I know we've made artificial genomes though, but that was recombining snippets of pre-existing DNA if memory serves correct.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

sssf.byethost31.com...

In short, no. This isn't anything peer-reviewed, but given my time constraints (on the job) it's a good start.

We can certainly manipulate DNA to an extent, but to CREATE DNA from scratch is a whole new ball park. Short of some crazy, 80-'s style science montage, not for a good while, even considering the exponentially evolving field of technology.

Then again, you never know.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Have we actually made DNA yet

Every day in 10s of thousands of laboratories. It's called PCR.

Originally posted by Maddogkull
..out of amino acids?

Proteins are made of amino acids. DNA is made of something totally different.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by rhinoceros]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Can we make DNA ? ... Already done !

... a Japanese team, who have published details of their creation of an artificial DNA strand. All the components of their DNA product are nonnatural, yet they spontaneously form right-handed duplexes with the corresponding opposite base, and these bonds have very similar properties to those of natural DNA.

Source: Artificial DNA

top topics

join