It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Turq) Pondskipper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Well, this is my entry. A prologue, if you will. It'll be updated...well, whenever I get a crack at it.

Prelude

Doctors....neurologists, they say we spend about twenty percent of the time we sleep dreaming. Even then, you have to be woken up in the middle of it to remember.

Now, let me ask you a question. What if you could remember each dream you had, every night of your life?

Worse, what if each time you dreamt you left this world and ended up in another, living another person�s life?

Hello, my name is Nicholas Grimsby, and I�m a Pondskipper. I don�t have anything else to call it- the title was assigned to me.

I�m guessing most of you people out there don�t know what that means. I don�t either, really. It�s hard to explain without having been through it. Let me start at the beginning - in this body, in this reality, I�m Nicholas Grimsby. I�m fourteen, a highschool student. Male. Caucasian. Brown hair. But each time I close my eyes, I know that I�ll end up in a body. Doesn�t matter how, where, when...

It started a month ago. I fell asleep, and then it happened.

An aural tempest of screams and calls, and then white light.

�Tim!� someone yelled in my ear at a distance. It was disconcerting, with the light tinged with shadow at the edges and the yells close yet far at the same time.

I shook myself awake. I remained in my bed.

I closed my eyes again, passing it off as a dream. When I opened them again, my world was pain.

Enjoy

DE

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
New installment. Enjoy. Will probably edit.

Temporal lightning slashed my mind apart. The me-self dissolved and reformed. I found myself in face down in the mud, cursing and choking. The me-self that coalesced was different, including a Tim-self. The rush of his memories, his life jarred me to the bone, as I rolled on the wet ground. �TIM!� a young woman called out. Her face creased with worry in the dark forest night, she pulled at my suddenly beefy body. I rolled, everything obscured by the glow of a flashlight. My eyes clamped shut, an arm reaching out to bat it away. I cried out, feeling bone ends grated together in my left forearm. The Tim-self immediately recognized that I had broken my arm- his arm. Our arm, whatever.

I got to my feet, and we were running again, chasing the beam of yellow light that cut the darkness ahead of us. I knew tat we were running from something; something horrible, something alien, something wanting to do us horrible harm. To our left, a green splash of fire impacted with the ground, shaking it. The wisps of neon flame rose high into the air as I continued to run. Breath came hard to a body I didn�t know. All the while, Professor Timothy-self explored my life, integrated us together. A sharing of memory happen in an instant, and we both lived each other�s lives in a second. I stumbled, but barely kept my balance. I looked over my shoulder, catching a glimpse of a large...organism in the sky, for lack of a better word. It looked alive. It had eyes and seemed to breathe as it laid waste to the skyscrapers which touched the firmament in the distance.

Three of us spent four hours dodging the Thing in the Sky. There was Megan, one of the Tim-self�s students, myself and Megan�s boyfriend. We stopped to bandage my arm- Tim had been a biology professor before the Thing in the Sky came. No one knew where it came from, but almost immediately it had began to destroy. We hid in caves, scurried in ditches as we watched it pound the city of Dallas into oblivion, raining balls of green flame upon it. Eventually, we found an overhang in the foliage and made camp for the night. The Tim-Self slept, and once again I raced along reality. However, this time I dragged the Tim-Self with me, in me, as we ended up somewhere entirely different.

DE

(Temba, his arms open)

[edit on 7-6-2004 by DeusEx]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
woah...i missed your entry!!!
glad i came back to look
fascinating premise and of course well written as always.
i think another installation might be in order, pondskipper intrigues me.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Nice! I really love the character title/rank of Pondskipper.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well DE, you've done it again. Leaving everyone wanting more. You're such a tease. Caught the reference to Darmok. Cute. "Shakka, when the walls fell."

new topics

top topics

join