It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's deepest oil well may rival Alaskan field in production

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

World's deepest oil well may rival Alaskan field in production

www.lubbockonline.com

The company's chief of exploration on Wednesday estimated that the Tiber deposit holds between 4 billion and 6 billion barrels of oil equivalent, which includes natural gas. ...

"And when they finally get down there, it's very hot," ...

"It could be upwards of 250 degrees Fahrenheit. The pressures can be the most challenging aspect of it. These rocks are over-pressured, which means you need to have a lot of special equipment."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: BAN Instructions: Copy The EXACT Headline

[edit on 5/7/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
BP press release from last September, when they first tapped into this oil reservoir.

They have been very secretive since the disaster as to how large this reservoir might be... But at the time they discovered it they openly bragged about how it "holds between 4 billion and 6 billion barrels of oil equivalent, which includes natural gas".

How can they be so secretive about this now, when they announced this last year?

If the reservoir is this large and the volcano coming out of it can't be capped... Oh man.

www.lubbockonline.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: BAN Instructions: Copy The EXACT Headline

[edit on 5/7/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Lies, its the size of mount everest : www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
If the reservoir is the size of Mount (holy) Everest, then we are talking about 6.37e+14 gallons. (See en.allexperts.com... for the volume in cubic kilometers, and then convert to gallons here www.unitconversion.org...).

Assuming that this is all oil, that incomprehensible number is almost a quadrillion gallons.

I'm not a geophysicist, but I'm hoping/guessing that most of this volume is sediment/rock that is highly pressurized and saturated with the crude. Given that, a back of the envelope calculation might give you 4-6 billion gallons of actual oil.

That's probably the calculation that BP did, before they started drilllllllllling. But it seems to me that nobody has any clue as to how much oil sits in this pocket.

We've just messed with Mother Earth in a way never done before. How can it possibly be a good idea to conduct such an "experiment" to try and tap into resources so deep in the planet that the geophysical forces present are incomprehensible?

This is no different than the same types of deeds done by investment banking firms that let to our economic crash. Why is it ok for a corporation to take such gambles, motivated by their own greed, when they are risking the well being of humanity?

I'm a bit angry about all of this, if anyone hasn't noticed.

new topics

top topics

join