It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town BANS selling bottled water... Welcome to Amerika, land of the free!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
www.thebostonchannel.com...

CONCORD, Mass. --
The town of Concord has banned the sale of bottled drinking water in town beginning in 2011.

"We only have one planet and I just don't want to see it spoiled," said Jean Hill, who introduced the measure at Concord's Town Meeting.

Hill said that New York, Illinois and Virginia, as well as more than 100 cities, have taken action to cut spending on bottled water.

The measured passed by Concord would allow the sale of refillable containers of water, which could still be sold and delivered in town. Only plastic bottles that companies cannot reuse would be banned.

What the hell is wrong with these people???? I thought that we were supposed to value freedom in the United States... Now, the ends justify the means, so we need to ban SELLING WATER!! That's what they are saying.

I will laugh my ass off when some accident happens to the water supply, and the tap is no longer drinkable, like happened to 2 million in Boston.. Nobody can even buy bottled water for their emergency supply. It's OK, everybody will have FEMA to rely on when another Katrina hits.

This is completely absurd. Now if you want to walk around town you will be forced to walk around with a colostomy bag (water bottle) on your hip or risk contracting herpes on your mouth by using a water fountain with low pressure.. That's if you can even FIND one.

Are they going to have drinking fountains installed at every street corner? NO. I hope somebody sues them for forcing them to digest poisoned fluoridated water, as now their is no other alternative.

LOL their justification for this is even more absurd!!! Because it "uses too much oil"... Um... HELLLO??!! Oil is not a highly limited quantity, they produce millions of barrels a day! The point of buying oil, is so that you can use it to make whatever product you want, including bottled water.

What's the next step? What will they ban next, because it "uses too much oil"? Condoms? Plastic bags? Fertilizer? Cars?

Why do Americans HATE being free? Why do they hate freedom? I just don't understand what the hell is wrong with people anymore.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by FalselyFlagged]

+53 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
LOL The US existed before bottled water, and the US will exist after bottled water.

You can stick some water in a thermos.

People also have a right to be free from toxins, un-neccessary waste of resources, and having to pay out of pocket to landfill the 80% of bottles that DONT get recycled, and spend the next few centuries taking up landfill space.

+15 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
i think ur post is a lil misguided.
the focus is on the plastic bottles,
not the water.

selling or buying water is fine as long as it is in
recyclable plastic containers

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Four words:

Save money. Buy Berkey.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
LOL The US existed before bottled water, and the US will exist after bottled water.

You can stick some water in a thermos.

People also have a right to be free from toxins, un-neccessary waste of resources, and having to pay out of pocket to landfill the 80% of bottles that DONT get recycled, and spend the next few centuries taking up landfill space.

So now you should be required to carry water around in a thermos? Like a colostomy bag?? And where are you going to get this water to refill it?

Where are there public sinks that everyone can use? What about safety? How do you know that some pervert didn't pee in the drinking fountain?

DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT IN AMERICA WE VALUE FREEDOM????????

Or does that not matter any more?? Now the "ends justify the means" all of a sudden, huh?

Don't you think that if you were going to buy bottled water, you would just buy another bottled drink instead? So how did that help the environment at all? And that's not even their reasoning! They just said "it uses too much oil". Insanity!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

*snip* Not "recyclable".. REFILLABLE.

That means the giant water cooler bottles.

You can't buy a 20 oz bottle of water in that town. Or 32. Or any size.

Nope. You are forced to buy a nice refreshing bottle of liquid diabetes instead... Or some disgusting exrement from mutant ecoli, AKA nutrasweet.

What the hell is wrong with America when you can buy fifth of jack daniels in a plastic bottle so you don't break it while you are driving, but you can't buy a BOTTLE OF FREAKING WATER???

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/4/10 by niteboy82]

+8 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
boondock-saint hit it...
The emphasis is on the plastic the water is in, not the water itself. I was always curious as to why people would pay for bottled water when it comes out of the tap for free (for those with their own wells at least)

My favorite was always...

Spell EVIAN backwards and what do you have?

NAIVE, because that is what you have to be to pay that much for water!

I thought about starting my own water company called DIPUTS!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Acid_Burn2009

It doesn't matter if the point was the water itself... THEY BANNED SELLING WATER!!!! Do you not see how that is against the point of freedom? Ever heard of a FREE MARKET? This is against everything America stands for, it doesn't matter if YOU PERSONALLY drink bottled water or not.

And do you walk around with a tap whenever you leave your house? What about at work? What about on a trip? What about when you are shopping? Should you have to carry around a bottle every where you go, and if you run out... too bad? Better buy some coca-cola, cause you cant drink anything without sugar.

You people hate freedom, please admit it. Ends never justify the means. THAT is literally what our country was founded on, and you are throwing it all in the garbage because it "uses too much oil".

Disgusting. Next they will come for your latte cups or whatever it is that you enjoy or need for sustenance.

+5 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
If a person is too lazy or stupid to provide for their own needs, then I feel they deserve to dehydrate. This law in no way hinders anyone's freedoms. Drive a town over and buy your plastic chemicals there. No one owes you a plastic bottle of water.

Good luck with your colostomy bag, sir, with this new health care reform, you will surely need it.

Course, some of us folk use water bags or canteens, like we did back in girl scouts, before bottled water even came along.

+1 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged

The measured passed by Concord would allow the sale of refillable containers of water, which could still be sold and delivered in town. Only plastic bottles that companies cannot reuse would be banned.

Did you even read the source you have here?

It plainly says only bottles that cannot be reused would be banned.

Heck, I remember having to return soda bottles while I was growing up. You had to pay a deposit on them, so, whenever you bought a soda, chances were pretty good you were getting it in a bottle that was being reused. The milk and juice that we had delivered to the house also came in reusable bottles. We would leave the empties in the milk box to be picked up at the next delivery.

I see no problem reusing a container. It is less waste that will end up in a garbage dump. Have you driven by one recently?

You can be a cry baby all you want to about this new ban, but think about the next generation that will be stuck with your plastic bottles!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Water bag = colostomy bag. In the United States of Amerika you should not be required to carry around your water or die.

That's why we invented money, so that you can buy things that you want. Or buy things that you NEED, like water. If you don't want to buy it, then don't.. But why should you limit the freedoms of another person?

You don't value the free market? You don't value the constitution?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Did you even read the source you have here?

It plainly says only bottles that cannot be reused would be banned.

Heck, I remember having to return soda bottles while I was growing up. You had to pay a deposit on them, so, whenever you bought a soda, chances were pretty good you were getting it in a bottle that was being reused. The milk and juice that we had delivered to the house also came in reusable bottles. We would leave the empties in the milk box to be picked up at the next delivery.

I see no problem reusing a container. It is less waste that will end up in a garbage dump. Have you driven by one recently?

You can be a cry baby all you want to about this new ban, but think about the next generation that will be stuck with your plastic bottles!

They already go in the recycle bin.

Are you saying they should use re-usable glass bottles to have water in? How safe is that? How much energy is spent collecting, transfering, re-washing, refilling all the water? And they all have to be the exact same dimensions?

Why does everybody hate the free market?

[edit on 4-5-2010 by FalselyFlagged]

+10 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FalselyFlagged

Do you mean to tell me that with everything else on this site... immigration reform, Deepwater Horizon, NAFTA, UFO disclosure, the Healthcare Reform Act, with all of this... you singled out plastic bottles of water to go on an incoherent rant about? Really?

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Legion2112]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged

They already go in the recycle bin.

So, while you are out, and carrying around a water bottle, you bring it home with you to recycle? Each and every one? If you do, that is quite commendable.

So, you are walking around with empty bottles anyway, correct? What a drag it must be to carry around all of the empty's you have!

Are you saying they should use re-usable glass bottles to have water in?

No, I am saying they should reuse the empty plastic bottles.

How safe is that? How much energy is spent collecting, transfering, re-washing, refilling all the water? And they all have to be the exact same dimensions?

It used to be that each company reused there own bottles, the glass ones. For instance, coke and pepsi did not have the same bottles. I am not saying that a return to glass is needed, I'm saying reusing plastic bottles is.

Why does everybody hate the free market?

I don't think anybody does. I think people realize that plastic bottles that are not recycled, along with other things like disposable diapers, take up a lot of landfills.

edit for clarification

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I have to agree here on this one. If you're going to ban bottles of water only because of the plastic, then why aren't they banning ALL products in plastic containers? Why just water?

I do disagree about the oil comment, though. We may seem to have all the oil we need right now but if you actually stopped and thought about the billions of people on the planet and all the products we use every day that contain oil...well, oil is really the one true religion, second only to money.

+2 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Actually bottled water is hoax, the plastic bottles are dangerous for your health, they also pollute.

I was one of those that bought crates of bottle water a week.

After having more empty bottles that our trash could handle and after having my husband fill the car with them to take them to the recycle places we invested in a water filter and the plastic bottles are gone, hallelujah

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused
I have to agree here on this one. If you're going to ban bottles of water only because of the plastic, then why aren't they banning ALL products in plastic containers? Why just water?

I also agree that other products sold in plastic bottles should go through the same transformation. I don't know if it is because people drink more water, but, soda, and any other beverage should also be subjected to this.

+4 more 
posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Are you serious? What in the hay do you think people did before bottled water? You think there were millions of dehydrated Ameri'k'ans dying in the street screaming, "Water, waaaater!!!".

They didn't ban the sale of water. They banned the sale of bottled water. I drink tap water ALL THE TIME. I don't carry bottled water around with me because I am perfectly capable of going and getting a cup of water from any of the NUMEROUS fast food restaurants that line the streets or from a drinking fountain. If I'm going out of town to the woods, OMG, I carry a reusable water bottle. And also, OMG, I don't drink soda. Amazingly, I'm perfectly hydrated right now.

You're going on and on about bottled water and acting as if tap water is the devil's juice. Do you cook with bottled water? Do you shower with bottled water? Do you think that the manufacturers of the food you eat/drink use only bottled water?

I can understand your opinion of the matter; however, you really haven't done any justice to your stance with the argument you have presented so far. It is full of straw men, hyperbole, and scare tactics.

Take a deep breath....

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
My city has failed state water quality inspections for four months in a row, and been reprimanded for something like 8. Our water quality is horrible. Not much we can do, as our source water is a mudhole called Lake Spence. We fail for "turbidity", which means "too much dirt/fish poop after the processing cleans up the water". Not unhealthy, just unsavory and unsightly.

We also have very iron rich soil, so the water will actually stain your teeth brown, and will ruin a load of whites in 1 wash.

The downside for me? I run a hotel. I finally just started buying bottles of water to give to my guests. At 12 cents apiece, it is worth the investment to buy some customer satisfaction.

One day my water softener just stopped working all of a sudden. Ruined 10k in linens before we discovered it.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Geeze.....am I the only one here old enough to remember when BOTTLES were made out of glass?

It is the ABUNDANCE of littering, non-bio-degradable PLASTIC that is used to manufacture these ubiquitous 'bottles'....that is at issue, here.

AND YES! As someone mentioned, the very style of marketing, of....AHEM....water has been clever, because PEOPLE 'buy'' into the hype.

Anyone care to go out, to your local Supermarket, and do some math?

Go, and take your calculator. Scan the shelves, note the prices, and the relative sizes.

You will (hopefully) be both amazed, and shocked, and disgusted by the findings. WE PAY MORE FOR WATER, than for gasoline (petrol), just because of the packaging, and marketing efforts!!!

Oh, and BTW....WATER is not the only liquid marketed and sold in plastic bottles.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join