It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Appletreewick UFO in Yorkshire, UK - May 30th 1983

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I've just returned from the beautiful villages of Burnsal and Appletreewick in Yorkshire. Before I went, I did some research and discovered that one of the local pubs - The Craven Arms - was the location of a UFO event in 1983.

Prior to the age of digital photography, a lady took a photograph with a Kodak camera of traditional Morris Dancers outside the pub. When the film was developed she was shocked to notice a large, glowing, orange orb behind the tree in the middle ground of the picture.

There is a brilliant analysis of the photograph HERE and to my mind concludes that what was captured that day is truly unexplainable and unidentified. I spent the last evening of my holiday drinking ale at the pub and took time to explore the location to get more of a feeling for the topography and surroundings from which I drew my own conclusions. Please let me know what you guys think of this extraordinary picture and your thoughts.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e006de47e8e.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by the.lights

Nice. S + F for you while i read through the analysis.

I always knew that Morris dancing attracted weird folks.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Gaderel

Thanks! It makes for very interesting reading. Not one of the better known UFO photos, but it should be...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Cool find! Is it.......
developing artifact? nope
CGI ........? nope
Giant dust orb ? nope
something unexplainable ? yup

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Interesting case and deep photographic analysis on your link. That nobody in "real time" saw it made me think of photos of ghosts, which led me to wonder about any other paranormal phenomena in the area.

Nothing of great interest--just a couple of old legends:Trolls living in Trollers Gill, a local ravine; a ghost dog called a Barguest, also living in Trollers Gill; and a case from the mid 18th century: "Coming from deep underground, low unearthly groans would often knock ornaments from their stands."
www.paranormaldatabase.com...

Here is a retelling of the Barguest legend, from a book in 1888.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemooone2
Cool find! Is it.......
developing artifact? nope
CGI ........? nope
Giant dust orb ? nope
something unexplainable ? yup

Absolutely! The scientific analysis of the picture on that page rules out pretty much all explainable alternatives. Which is why, in my opinion, this long forgotten photograph needs much wider recognition within the UFO community as being one of the best of its kind. I only discovered this one month ago researching my holiday and STILL... I'm awestruck by this picture!!!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by the.lights
I've just returned from the beautiful villages of Burnsal and Appletreewick in Yorkshire. Before I went, I did some research and discovered that one of the local pubs - The Craven Arms - was the location of a UFO event in 1983.

Prior to the age of digital photography, a lady took a photograph with a Kodak camera of traditional Morris Dancers outside the pub. When the film was developed she was shocked to notice a large, glowing, orange orb behind the tree in the middle ground of the picture.

There is a brilliant analysis of the photograph HERE and to my mind concludes that what was captured that day is truly unexplainable and unidentified. I spent the last evening of my holiday drinking ale at the pub and took time to explore the location to get more of a feeling for the topography and surroundings from which I drew my own conclusions. Please let me know what you guys think of this extraordinary picture and your thoughts.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b5df2cf1ff04.jpg[/atsimg]
could be an ornament

those fay folk

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by cagliostro
Interesting case and deep photographic analysis on your link. That nobody in "real time" saw it made me think of photos of ghosts, which led me to wonder about any other paranormal phenomena in the area.

Nothing of great interest--just a couple of old legends:Trolls living in Trollers Gill, a local ravine; a ghost dog called a Barguest, also living in Trollers Gill; and a case from the mid 18th century: "Coming from deep underground, low unearthly groans would often knock ornaments from their stands."
www.paranormaldatabase.com...

Here is a retelling of the Barguest legend, from a book in 1888.

Thanks for all of this research into the paranormal in the immediate area. I hiked through Trollers Gill. Very interesting place. Here's a picture I took;

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a207f0264df.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by reject
could be an ornament

those fay folk

LOL Yes! A giant 70s paper lampshade.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Isn't it just one of those famous Yorkshire Orange Trees?

The man from Del Monte - he says YES

Fantastic stuff, thanks for sharing

[edit on 5-5-2010 by nevets]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nevets
Isn't it just one of those famous Yorkshire Orange Trees?

The man from Del Monte - he says YES

Fantastic stuff, thanks for sharing

[edit on 5-5-2010 by nevets]

Actually very funny!
I happened to catch an ad for the new Prisoner dvd today - and thought it looked an awful lot like the ball that pursued Patrick McGooghan in the original series.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by the.lights
I happened to catch an ad for the new Prisoner dvd today - and thought it looked an awful lot like the ball that pursued Patrick McGooghan in the original series.

Oh yeah I remember that! Case solved!! Haha

Maybe it was a futuristic 1980's form of travel, hop inside a big bouncy ball and roll down the valley!

Sorry, I don't mean to sidetrack with jokes, it really is extremely strange and I have never seen anything like it.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nevets

1980's zorbing!! lol

Yeah, it is one of the best I've ever seen and it's beyond me why it is not up there as one of, if not THE best UFO's ever captured on film.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by the.lights]

top topics

join