It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain shuts down to submit to authority

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Parts of the prefrontal and anterior cingulate cortices shut down in the face of authority

Only in the devout volunteers did the brain activity monitored by the researchers change in response to the prayers. Parts of the prefrontal and anterior cingulate cortices, which play key roles in vigilance and scepticism when judging the truth and importance of what people say, were deactivated when the subjects listened to a supposed healer. Activity diminished to a lesser extent when the speaker was supposedly a normal Christian (Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, DOI: 10.1093/scan/nsq023).

Schjødt says that this explains why certain individuals can gain influence over others, and concludes that their ability to do so depends heavily on preconceived notions of their authority and trustworthiness.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Source: www.newscientist.com...

This is a problem. Now we have an understanding as to why people can be caught up in religions, partisan politics, and the like. The part of the brain that generates truth seeking shuts down for devout followers of any random cause. I think there is a need for classes that promote a healthy sense of skepticism from an early age, this way we will not be able to be so easily influenced by this or that in the future.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Details and processes such as this have (I beleive) been known about and manipulated by the Elites for a long long time. They have the knowledge, and thus the power to control us and make us think/do whatever they want.

Mind Control, manipulation using various stimuli and our senses, our natural resonance and frequencies, all are used and abused.

Just my humble opinion of course, good find none the less, S+F matey!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Yeah, I'd assume this was common knowledge to those in power. It's a good thing the rest of us realize this now, we can guard against things of our own volition whenever they occur. Whether it be faith, politics, dictators or what have you, we can actively make the choice to question and that is exactly what we should do.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Like above posters have said I'm sure this has been known about for a very long time by those who believe in/follow the luciferian doctrine. Before you say its Satan, let me remind you that the luciferian doctrine says that god and satan do not exist, but they believe humans (specifically themselves) can become gods.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Something tells me this process is related to the submissiveness and general order following behavior seen in 2 out of 3 participants in Milgram experiments.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Its just common sense! If you are aware of your surroundings and an observer its easy to tell when someone is lying!

An authority figure is nothing when faced with themselves!

There is no system... Just followers of deception

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Not only religions, but also certain occult practices utilize the magnetic waves of the brain. Submissiveness to a story that answers the Question of life is necessary to further the agenda of the peoples in control of the submission.
I would like to say that this practice and its many variants have been in use for years and years, to the point that past cultures have used it to keep masses under a certain "flow".

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
Source: www.newscientist.com...

This is a problem. Now we have an understanding as to why people can be caught up in religions, partisan politics, and the like. The part of the brain that generates truth seeking shuts down for devout followers of any random cause. I think there is a need for classes that promote a healthy sense of skepticism from an early age, this way we will not be able to be so easily influenced by this or that in the future.

Fear is used in all sorts of indoctrinations. It takes an aware mind to see that "they" are playing both sides against one another.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by manbird12000

And the idea of the aware mind is what we are destined to leave for the next generation. We need to ensure that they are aware and always asking why, no matter what.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
The part of the brain that generates truth seeking shuts down for devout followers of any random cause.

I've drawn a slightly different conclusion from reading the article. The listeners don't have to be devout and the person doesn't need to be charismatic, the listener just needs to believe the speaker is more knowledgeable than they are.

I wonder how much this study cost. I can guarantee that I would have told them "we're all inclined to trust authority despite our better judgment" for a lot less. I doubt you could even function as a human without doing so.

top topics

join