It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracies, speculation, alternative theories, and "semi-fiction."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
ATS is largely devoted to "alternative" theories and ideas. As such, it runs the gamut from the sublime to the ridiculous, and everyone has a different opinion on everything.

In many cases, threads boil down into arguments of "believers" versus "debunkers" pretty quickly. I think its important to thrash things out and try to figure out the truth...but at the same time, I think an approach that asks only "is it true or false" is kind of reductionist and, in the end, boring.

There are many theories and ideas I read about that I don't really believe in, but I still like to explore them and think about them. Others I'm more truly ambivilent about...I neither believe or disbelieve, but often in this case, it doesn't really seem all that important to me. I kind of label them "semi-fiction" and enjoy them on their own terms, even if I have my doubts about their reality. I tend to feel this is a good attitude that can improve imagination, and help one to keep curiosity, creativity, and "thinking outside the box." At the very least, it certainly seems no worse than a form of entertainment.

How many of you feel the same way? That is, do you like exploring altenate world-views for their own internal sake, rather than worrying so much about whether or not they are true? OR, do you think that this kind of attitute gets in the way of the imperative to "deny ignorance"? If we start taking things more for their entertainment value, does this detachement cloud our minds or else get in the way of creating a better world somehow?

Also, if you do enjoy certain ideas without believing them either wholly or partly, or while shunting aside the whole idea of "true versus false" altogether, I'd be curious about different theories that fall under these categories for you, if you feel like sharing with the class.

Any opinions, ideas, etc. along these lines welcome in this thread.

[edit on 5/2/10 by silent thunder]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
For me, the only reality i follow is my inner knowing. True and false is part of the polarity of the mind. I do, however, like to read a lot of threads, just to see what people talk about.

The problem is that beliefs tend to keep us away from our own knowing. Most humans do not know how the mind works, and very few are aware of the extent of the manipulation they are subjected to.

Most of the times, beliefs serves as security for the ego that is unable to know on his own the answers to the questions he's asking himself.

I try to stay as neutral as possible, in order to maintain my energies. Also, i never believe, i must know. But i never impose my knowing onto others, for it becomes in itself a form of domination.

join