It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nashville TN flooded today by 13 feet of water in some areas.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DamaSan

Glad to hear that you are safe.

I've been following what is going on up there.. I don't really know anyone there, but I have been to several parts of Tennessee several times on vacation. Beautiful state.

Stay safe.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Okay, some videos, articles and images:

"Authorities have evacuated residents there and in the MetroCenter area where a leaky levee threatens 500 residents and about 150 businesses. Authorities on Sunday moved 1,500 people from the Gaylord Opryland Hotel to a nearby high school." -Associated Press
www.google.com...

"More than 7 inches of rain fell on Saturday and 13.53 inches had fallen by 8:30 p.m. Sunday, a new two-day record. Just two days into the month, this is already the wettest May in Nashville's recorded history and fifth wettest month in city history. Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen called it an 'unprecedented rain event.'
Mayor Karl Dean’s office is asking Nashville residents to conserve water. Emergency officials are in the process Sunday night to evacuate parts of Metrocenter and residents and businesses near Mainstream Drive."
WSMV Nashville - NBC News
www.wsmv.com...

CNN is running this story as a headline on their front page, but here is a link direct to the article:
www.cnn.com...

Governor Bredesen Urges People To Stay Home
www.newschannel5.com...

This link is the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) map which shows current road conditions. Using the controls on the left, select "Road Conditions" and watch the entire map turn blue.
ww2.tdot.state.tn.us...

LaVergne, which was declared a Disaster Area
www.fox17.com...

Nashville News Links
www.wsmv.com...
www.newschannel5.com...
www.wkrn.com...
www.fox17.com...
www.nashville.gov...

Very well edited video:

Commentary by Some Guy with Good Still Shots of Damage

Photo Slideshow

Aerial View of OpryLand Hotel, OpryMills Mall, and the Grand Ole Opry
Also shows a major nearby housing development that is underwater.
(SOOOOO many people didn't have flood insurance!!)

Inside OpryLand Hotel - Flooded

West Nashville

Downtown Nashville

Cool Springs Mall (Between Brentwood and Franklin, south of Nashville in Williamson County)

Old Hickory Lock and Dam

Interstate 24 Flooded

Major Power Sub-Station Underwater

[edit on 4-5-2010 by DamaSan]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DamaSan

The National media really dropped the ball on this one, but you didn't DamaSan,
thanks for posting all those great links and videos . The Opryland one is touching. Was never much of a Gaylord fan, but I really feel for the employees and convention folks.
Hopefully, tomorrow will bring receding water as promised. If the last water treatment plant on Omohundro goes . . . Well, Me too!
BTW, Did you see those four sandbags they put in front of the steps on First Ave, Sunday? I can't believe that didn't work. OEM said that even if they could find sandbags it wouldn't matter anyway, because . . . They didn't have any sand! OEM motto, "No plows, No sand, No plan". When tasked with managing emergencies into full blown disasters tho, they do a heckofajob. edit to add that the Cumberland has begun receding this morning! Whew.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Leroy]

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Leroy]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I live in Davidson County, in South Nashville just behind Briley Parkway, and this is all so unbelievable. Numerous friends of mine have had to rent out hotels, or move in with other friends and family thanks to this; nothing of this kind has happened in Nashville in my entire life (I'm 18) and it's just insane. My favorite Mall(Opry Mills), underwater. The place where I was supposed to graduate(Grand Ole Opry House), underwater. The place where I've seen most of my Rock Concerts (Sommet Center/Bridgestone Arena/GEC), underwater. The Nashville Speedway, though no longer underwater, is ruined. The blacktop is cracked and chunks are lying everywhere.

And now they're telling us to conserve water because we're running on 35%ish of something or other (they say we normally run from 55-85% but I'm not sure what that percentage means) so our water supply is going waaay down. Kroger is completely out of bottled/gallons of water, and all that Dollar General had was being grabbed like new Video Games on Christmas Eve.

We also haven't been to school since Friday, and they say they "don't know when [we'll] be able to return to school" so it sounds like we won't be able to return until at least Monday, at which point numerous students will have missed many AP Tests (I myself have already missed 2, and if we're out of school Thursday, it'll be 3).

Oh, and quite a few gas stations are running really low on gas, since some tankers/truckers can't get to a lot of the stations.

[Most of this information is from my local news, wsmv.com but it is spread out among so many clips, snippets, and videos]

But on a lighter note, here's a funny rescue operation.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Evan_Dood]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
There was a great piece that appeared on the Tennessean website last night that proves why TN is known as the Volunteer state.
We are Nashville
From the source

The Cumberland River crested at its highest level in over 80 years. Nashville had its highest rainfall totals since records began. People drowned. Billions of dollars in damage occurred. It is the single largest disaster to hit Middle Tennessee since the Civil War. And yet…no one knows about it.

But let’s look at the other side of the coin for a moment. A large part of the reason that we are being ignored is because of who we are. Think about that for just a second. Did you hear about looting? Did you hear about crime sprees? No…you didn’t. You heard about people pulling their neighbors off of rooftops. You saw a group of people trying to move two horses to higher ground. No…we didn’t loot. Our biggest warning was, “Don’t play in the floodwater.” When you think about it…that speaks a lot for our city. A large portion of why we were being ignored was that we weren’t doing anything to draw attention to ourselves. We were handling it on our own.

Now the water is receding, the smell of the mud left in the houses is horrendous. The bugs aren't great either.
The sun, heat and water shortage (ironic) certainly isn't helping the cleanup.
The shelters are at maximum capacity and if it wasn't for people taking the displaced into their homes, many would have still nowhere to go.
I live in a low income area , yet these people who have very little to give have shared what they can and help in the huge messy cleanup efforts.

Even little children are proudly bringing bags of their clothes and toys to give and swishing brooms around trying to help.

It's beautiful to see humanity at it's best for a change, and it makes me proud to be part of such a wonderful community.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join