It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doesn't Obama's healthcare reform do more harm to illegals than Arizona's new law?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I clearly remember when Obama was campaigning for presidency that he said his plan for Universal healthcare would not cover illegal immigrants.

Now I'm not sure what is in the 1,500 page bill that was signed by Obama... but if someone has some knowledge on how effects illegal immigrants, I would appreciate it.

Are illegal immigrants going to be required by law to have health coverage? I'm kinda confused what their penalties will be if they do not have health coverage, and the bigger question should be what happens to all these illegal immigrants that our currently flooding our hospitals when Obamacare takes full effect?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029

Are illegal immigrants going to be required by law to have health coverage? I'm kinda confused what their penalties will be if they do not have health coverage, and the bigger question should be what happens to all these illegal immigrants that our currently flooding our hospitals when Obamacare takes full effect?

Simply put, no.

The health care mandate was written in as a tax issue, so that it could be considered "constitutional" under the supreme court's interpretation of 'implied powers' from the McCulloch v. Maryland case.

Since illegal immigrants are not citizens and therefore don't pay taxes, there is really no way to require them to pay for health insurance.

Additionally, the bill did absolutely nothing to address the primary method illegal immigrants use to obtain health care, which is to simply go to the ER for any and all health-related issues (something that costs taxpayers exorbitant amounts of money).

new topics

join