It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somali Pirates Say They Are Subsidiary of Goldman Sachs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Somali Pirates Say They Are Subsidiary of Goldman Sachs

www.huffingtonpost.com

Eleven indicted Somali pirates dropped a bombshell in a U.S. court today, revealing that their entire piracy operation is a subsidiary of banking giant Goldman Sachs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
This story originally came to me via the GATA newsletter. It's probably the craziest story I've read in a long time...
I've tracked it down to the Huffington Post, and well, don't really know too much about that publication.
It did give me a few laughs, though.

I highly doubt if the pirates story is true (although, well, who knows!!!), but would be curious to know if any of it is true!!

I especially liked the line about the bonus of $48 million in dubloons last year...

And, and the last line is really good....

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
there's no way you're going to convince me that somali pirates would get themselves mixed up with that bunch of murdering, cheating, lying, thieving scumbags.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
there's no way you're going to convince me that somali pirates would get themselves mixed up with that bunch of murdering, cheating, lying, thieving scumbags.

Starred just for making me laugh out loud on an otherwise crappy day

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Yeah, this is believable. Next we'll find that Charles Manson was chief operating officer and later today they 911 hijackers will rise from the grave and explain that they were investment brokers.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Same as Expatwhite.

In all seriousness...

This is something that could very well be true in our twisted world. I think the pirates here are blatantly lying, but I could see the bankers as having shady connections to pirates, thieves, and other worldly scumbags and cutthroats. After all, they're bankers.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by David_Reale]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
This is a satirical piece, and posted in the Comedy section of the H Post.

just sayin

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
never a truer word said than in jest, there's just something terribly plausable about the idea. insure a cargo that never was and have pirates hijack it. it seems about as ethical as anything else banks do.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I've mentioned it before on here, but I saw a 'whistleblower' on TV about a year or so ago, and she explained that the pirates are purposely being ignored by the navies that could bring them in.
The English shipowners, in particular, are making more money in the insurance claim than they lose to the pirates, by far, she said.

To think that anyone would THINK of making a profit on the insurance company's demise, of course, is unthinkable.

The last line:
"There are lots of laws that could bring these guys down if they were, in fact, pirates," one government source said. "But if they're bankers, our hands are tied."

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Though it is not true, It wouldn't surprise me if GS would accept their money in an account. (what would be Haram to do for Muslims since GS does in rent.)

Goldm an doesn't care where they get their money, only about the amounts

3.110.000 hits for Goldman Sachs Scandal on google...

91% profit raise...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Is this co-incidental?

From the White House website:

April 13 2010

Executive Order concerning Somalia
EXECUTIVE ORDER
- - - - - - -
BLOCKING PROPERTY OF CERTAIN PERSONS
CONTRIBUTING TO THE CONFLICT IN SOMALIA

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701 et seq.) (IEEPA), the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) (NEA), section 5 of the United Nations Participation Act, as amended (22 U.S.C. 287c) (UNPA), and section 301 of title 3, United States Code,

I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, find that the deterioration of the security situation and the persistence of violence in Somalia, and acts of piracy and armed robbery at sea off the coast of Somalia, which have repeatedly been the subject of United Nations Security Council resolutions (including Resolution 1844 of November 20, 2008; Resolution 1846 of December 2, 2008; Resolution 1851 of December 16, 2008; and Resolution 1897 of November 30, 2009), and iolations of the arms embargo imposed by the United Nations Security Council in Resolution 733 of January 23, 1992, and elaborated upon and amended by subsequent resolutions (including Resolution 1356 of June 19, 2001; Resolution 1725 of December 6, 2006; Resolution 1744 of February 20, 2007; Resolution 1772 of August 20, 2007; Resolution 1816 of June 2, 2008; and Resolution 1872 of May 26, 2009), constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States, and I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with that threat.

I hereby order:

Extract ...

(C) to have directly or indirectly supplied, sold, or transferred to Somalia, or to have been the recipient in the territory of Somalia of, arms or any related materiel, or any technical advice, training, or assistance, including financing and financial assistance, related to military activities;

(D) to have materially assisted, sponsored, or provided financial, material, logistical, or technical support for, or goods or services in support of, the activities
described in subsections (a)(ii)(A), (a)(ii)(B), or (a)(ii)(C) of this section or any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this order;

Read the entire Executive:
www.whitehouse.gov...

Then this is in the Huffington Post:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

The U.S. Treasury Department, though, indicated it is not interested in prosecuting anyone trying to free hostages.

"We are targeting only those individuals and entities that freely choose to support acts of piracy or armed robbery at sea off the coast of Somalia, including through the supply of weapons, financing, communication devices, or small boats and other equipment," Adam Szubin, director of the Office of Foreign Assets Control at the Department of Treasury, told The Associated Press.

Still, a Treasury Department spokesperson, who was not authorized to speak publicly in line with department policy, said it is possible that if a ransom payment ends up in the hands of one of 11 individuals listed by the U.S. government along with Obama's order, the Department of Justice could become involved.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

That's enough to give piracy a bad name.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Haha! Brilliant!

I could buy into this, even though I know it's satirical. On a brighter note however, at least the robbing insurance companies are taking a battering!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
We have pirates on Wall Street. Somali Muslims engaged in Jihad on the high seas are not really pirates. They are jihadis taking loot and booty...like Al commanded Ol Mo.

Backed by Goldman Sachs. Rich. If they could make a penny of profit off it, they would jump at the chance!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
hum, it reminds me of "Pushing the Envelope" its not a crime, its pushing the envelope.
2nd line

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Bravo! lmao

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Thank you!!

My son is station on the ship that these guys were being kept on and I have been dying to email this to him, and ask him.....
what in God's name did you guys do there poor souls!!(lol!!)

still gonna send it to him, but well, wanted to know just how much worth was in it first.

top topics

join