It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona immigration law divides Republicans and conservatives

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

If that's the case, why is this law necessary? Isn't it redundant?

In thinking about it, yes. It would seem to be redundant. The only answer I can think of is this:

"A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE..."

That makes it sound like it's now a requirement of officers to check status instead of an option. Although further in the sentence it does give an out for not checking.

But if that's not it and cops already had this power then I agree - I can't think of why the law would be needed. Maybe it's a publicity stunt to gain political favor (which it very well could have been).

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

The bill constitutional or unconstitutional is causing the desirable outcome, is making everybody in the nation wake up to what southern states in the border are facing and the lack of initiative by the federal Government to enforce the established laws.

The whole purpose of this bill is create debate and is doing just that.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I have a big problem with 'reasonable suspicion'. To me, THAT's the Gestapo state I fear. Just going out and checking on someone "because they look like they did something wrong".

If there is 'reasonable suspicion' then an officer needs to be required to file on the record why they originally engaged someone and that needs to be examined by their superiors to make sure there is no abuse of the law happening.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

If there is 'reasonable suspicion' then an officer needs to be required to file on the record why they originally engaged someone and that needs to be examined by their superiors to make sure there is no abuse of the law happening.

Yeah, that's what I was stating earlier. An officer could simply state that a driver was "swerving" and stop them just because of their color. I think that is what has people worried. I think it's already happening though...which doesn't make it right...but officers do that. I'm sure that people have been wrongfully jailed already before this law was passed. There have been a few cases already where this has happened recently.

The whole thing is strange really. Maybe it was to stir debate and bring the issue forward so it can be dealt with as Marg stated. This has also stalled cap and trade legislation as well...which may have been intentional as they were going to reveal it a few days ago but decided against it as this has hit the spotlight.

Despite what many say here on ATS...I don't think most people want to deport 10 million illegal immigrants...they just want illegal immigration stopped and to keep violence from spilling over the border....and then look at our options after.

If we don't enforce our border...then why have one?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

I live in California, so when we are not preying to alah, bowing to Obama statues, robbing not lazy people or engaging in large homosexual orgies, we notice we have a problem here too...

LOL

now you just have to get elected.

I think we should vote for BH instead. I'm already tainted forever because of my Glen Beck antics. People think I have a hidden agenda or that I'm getting payed to do this.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Just heard on Keith Oblermann (and it makes PERFECT sense).

The reason the right is split on this is that the Republican leaders are afraid that the AZ law will make the GOP be seen as anti-Latino, which is the fastest growing demographic in this country. They are against it because they are afraid they will lose the Latino vote.

Mystery solved.

GW Bush got 44% of the Latino vote in 2004.

When I heard Rove was against this law, it really made me start wondering. But now it makes perfect sense.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

When I heard Rove was against this law, it really made me start wondering. But now it makes perfect sense.

Well Sean Hannity better change his tune. He was supporting this on his radio show today. Karl Rove is his buddah after all. I'm sure they've shared a few text messages or something so they can get on the same page.

So really we are just in campaign mode now. Time for the lies and BS to hit overdrive. Happens every time.
More broken promises coming our way...

You'd think after the last year of carnage some would start changing their tune...but nope.

We'll be sitting here next year STILL talking about why nothing is being done with the border.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Anyone from the latino population whom votes or has voted for Republicans, has got to be absolutely DELUSIONAL, unless such Latinos are pulling in at least a few hundred thousand annually in salary.

Throughout history, research shows CLEARLY that EVERYTHING a Republican does is for the benefit of the WEALTHIEST folks. Democrats help the middle and lower classes. SO unless these Latinos are VERY wealthy, they are fools. Then again, the Republicans try to get the lower and middle class votes claiming the "faith card", and such idiots whom have fallen for that GARBAGE is beyond ignorant. There is NOBODY with less of a Christ-like character than a Republican. NOBODY.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

this bill is complete horse****. The only reason people give a damn about these people is because the economy tanked.

Forcing people to show "their papers" is straight out of Nazi Germany.

You wanna do something about illegals? Fine. End the welfare state they come here for.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Captain_Sense
Anyone from the latino population whom votes or has voted for Republicans, has got to be absolutely DELUSIONAL, unless such Latinos are pulling in at least a few hundred thousand annually in salary.

Throughout history, research shows CLEARLY that EVERYTHING a Republican does is for the benefit of the WEALTHIEST folks. Democrats help the middle and lower classes. SO unless these Latinos are VERY wealthy, they are fools. Then again, the Republicans try to get the lower and middle class votes claiming the "faith card", and such idiots whom have fallen for that GARBAGE is beyond ignorant. There is NOBODY with less of a Christ-like character than a Republican. NOBODY.

rofl this is the funniest post I have ever read.

Thank god you and the dems are there to help those poor minorities. They are just too stupid to make without you....

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

You are not one of the brightest in regards to the Republican history huh? Obviously not. And I do not fit in the typical Democrat "classes", but I feel the rich DO NOT NEED ANY MORE SUPPORT, we can help ourselves. I just cannot tolerate "SPECIAL TREATMENT" to the wealthy, when its OUR LOWER AND MIDDLE CLASS THAT NEEDS HELP. Get IT?!

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Captain_Sense]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Looks like it's having an effect already.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They are leaving.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Captain_Sense
reply to post by aravoth

You are not one of the brightest in regards to the Republican history huh? Obviously not. And I do not fit in the typical Democrat "classes", but I feel the rich DO NOT NEED ANY MORE SUPPORT, we can help ourselves. I just cannot tolerate "SPECIAL TREATMENT" to the wealthy, when its OUR LOWER AND MIDDLE CLASS THAT NEEDS HELP. Get IT?!

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Captain_Sense]

Like how the republican party was founded by anti-slavery activists? How the GOP's first president was Abe Lincoln? Which is probably why Martin Luther King was a Republican...

That History? Is that what you were talking about?

Oh yes, I get it.

Keep watching Keith "where are the black faces" Olbermann. Looks like it's doing you all a lot of good.

Damn richers!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

We'll be sitting here next year STILL talking about why nothing is being done with the border.

And we will be discussing how the GOP shot down the Immigration law because they wanted their gardeners, cooks, nannys, etc. and the meatpacking, Hotel, Big Agriculture conglomerates, contractor, Restaurant chain lobbyist told their GOP representatives the reality of the situation. "We want our cheap labor" And if you do anything to adversely affect our profit margin; our political contributions will go to those that will listen.
Terrible public relation and financial dilemma for the GOP.

The only thing that will change is that green cards will be handed out to illegals like Walgreen coupons.

Money talks, BS walks!

[edit on 28-4-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

And we will be discussing how the GOP shot down the Immigration law because they wanted their gardeners, cooks, nannys, etc. and the meatpacking, Hotel, Big Agriculture conglomerates, contractor, Restaurant chain lobbyist told their GOP representatives the reality of the situation. "We want our cheap labor" And if you do anything to adversely affect our profit margin; our political contributions will go to those that will listen.

The only thing that will change is that green cards will be handed out to illegals like Walgreen coupons.

Money talks, BS walks!

So how does throwing immigrants out of the country guarantee that their "cheap labor" will keep working for them?

Not makin a lot of sense there chief.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by aravoth

Originally posted by whaaa

Money talks, BS walks!

So how does throwing immigrants out of the country guarantee that their "cheap labor" will keep working for them?

Not makin a lot of sense there chief.

And chief, you need to keep up! I'm sayin the "cheap Labor" will STAY NOT LEAVE with green cards; blessings of the large corps that hire them; courtesy of the politicians they influence with their campaign contributions.

Do you honestly think the industries that rely on cheap illegal labor are just going to rearrange their business model and corporate structure to please a few disgruntled conservatives. It don't work that way chief!!

However if the conservatives can mount an effective campaign and vote out the politicians that are whores of big business; then it might be different.
The TPM is the wild card this go round.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join