It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Supreme Court Refuses To Address A Simple Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
source

When the U.S. Supreme Court denied Charles Dean Hood's appeal last week, it was done in a one-sentence, unsigned order. Hood is a Texas death-row inmate who was convicted of murdering two people in 1990.

Now this is a very interesting case. The judge and the prosecuting attorney were both having an extra marital affair while the original trial was happening. To even the most casual observer, a case for a mistrial would be apparent. Or that at least a conflict of interest existed which could prevent the defendant from receiving a fair trial.

And that is was the Supreme Court does not want to address.

Now it is completely unethical for a client and attorney to have a sexual relationship. In a divorce case, it is grounds for losing custody of the children. But here we have a case in which a man was sentenced to die by a judge that determined if the evidence and deposition presented by a sexual partner was relevant.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well, there are more stars and flags than I normally receive on a thread like this, and I thank you for it, but I figured someone would have something to say about this situation.

Not even so much as an accusation that it is just all codewords for being against the Obama administration or something else equally offbeat.

Strange indeed.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Well, I certainly think the affair was unethical and the judge should have been recused. However, the facts of the case were stacked heavily against the defendant...and in Texas that's going to get you death, regardless of judge or the judge's relation with the prosecutor.

From your source:

The facts of Hood's case look very bad. That's why his appeal to the Supreme Court was supported by 30 top legal ethicists and an array of high-profile judges and prosecutors, including former FBI Director William Sessions and former Texas Governor and Attorney General Mark White, who supports capital punishment.

With that being said, I am against the death penalty. So this decision doesn't sit well with me. At least his execution won't be on my conscience.

Edit for spelling

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Aggie Man]

new topics

join