It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petitioners conned voters into switching to the GOP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Petitioners prowling parking lots and community college campuses tricked dozens of young Orange County voters into registering to vote as Republicans, an Orange County Register investigation has found.

The con occurred at the end of January and the beginning of February at places like Cypress College and Golden West College, and outside of discount stores like Wal-Mart and Food 4 Less. It appears to be the same kind of voter registration fraud that engulfed Orange County four years ago and landed eight signature gatherers in jail.

Unlike the Democrats, the California Republican Party has a controversial policy of paying signature gatherers who sends them new GOP voter registration cards and the Republicans are offering as much as $8 for each new GOP registration in that district.

Many believe the $8 "bounty" gives petitioners an incentive to commit fraud.

Full Story
This is the second time in 4 years this has happened in the same place.
It probably isn't going to help the Republicans, because most people who were contacted by the paper who broke this story as suspected targets of this fraud don't even vote.
So people are getting $8 a signature.
Or is there something else? Are they using the figures they have of registered voters in this area for Gerrymandering?

It seems that possibly a lot of the false registrants were conned with legalization of pot petitions.
I think there is more to this than we see so far.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
LOL good.

Maybe somebody from ACORN should be brought into investigate this matter. They have the most experience and working knowledge of such things.

I really think these matters could all be cleaned up with one simple action.

Make every voter photo ID themselves when they go to vote. And confirmed by more than one person or database. 99% of the election fraud would be cleared away.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Its just hurting the Republicans if anything.

The people aren't voting republican and the Reps have to pay 8 dollars for each signature.

If people are willing to go to jail for 8 dollars then let them have a go. Its not as if they are rigging elections.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracle Man
Its just hurting the Republicans if anything.

The people aren't voting republican and the Reps have to pay 8 dollars for each signature.

If people are willing to go to jail for 8 dollars then let them have a go. Its not as if they are rigging elections.

And this is the second time in 4 years they have been caught here doing this. That's why I think there is more to this we are not seeing yet or not being told.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I dont' see how there could be more. If anything they are conning the Republican party out of 8 dollars a signature.

People see a way to get easy money and they jump at it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracle Man

I dont' see how there could be more. If anything they are conning the Republican party out of 8 dollars a signature.

People see a way to get easy money and they jump at it.

99 written complaints. The paper found 74 more who were potentially duped into signing. 99+74=173. 173X$8= $1384
There were multiple people getting signatures.

$1384 split multiple ways just doesn't seem like it is even worth the risk to me. Then again, there are multitudes of stupid people in this world....

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I think we need to eliminate the "register as a party" bs.

I want to register as a VOTER and just pick randomly....

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

You kidding me?

People will pull a gun on a little old lady for 3 dollars and a scratch off.

You also have to think that most people who do this are unemployable and are working out of a temp agency anyways.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Miracle Man

Yeah, your probably right....
And some people did get "really cool"sunglasses too.....And I meant that about the glasses with all the facetiousness that it sounded like..

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Voter registration fraud is not as serious as actual voter fraud.
Is it?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
First off, this was not the work of the Republican party. This was the result of people trying to make a quick buck. Yes the whole thing is grimy yet people just sign things without reading it first!? Come on now some idiots just signed their names on something someone else shoved in their face? The blame is fifty fifty.

new topics

top topics

join