It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Day - Oh really?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I don't know why the destruction of the environment and likely extinction of most life within a few more generations depresses me. I mean, after all we are the only known world within possibly millions of light years which has the conditions to support the richness, beauty, intelligence of life found on our planet. And it only took a gazillion years for these unique conditions to form the varied life we have on this rare world.

And in just the microscopic thin sliver of eonic time we humans have been here, we can now successfully royal F**ck most all life, natural resources, sanctuary of wild places, and the environment within a few more decades. And we, the perpetrators of this cosmic crime, are largely ignorant, in denial, or just plain indifferent about it all - and many (even on this board) are blatant anti-environmentalists to boot.

So why does this depress me? I mean after all, I am 55, don't have kids or grandkids (to inherit this cluster F), and we are likely to see better and better Iphones (and ever greener lawns!) come out every year. Whats there to be depressed about?

Cheers its, Earth Day.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by whatsup]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I have kind of developed an inner disconnect with the human race. Specifically for these reasons.

If I were to allow myself to be concerned, I would literally go insane and probably end up hurt or dead.

So I just try to take things easy, and let go.

Letting go took great burdens off my shoulders that were hurting me.

You can say I am a coward, perhaps. But others could say I am clever for knowing how to avoid creating my own death/destruction.

See trying to take a direct stand will only get you shot down. And then everyone will demonize you.

So I just lay low on the radar. And try to make it through the day to tomorrow.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by whatsup

Well considering we will surely advance to a space-based and cosmic race well before everything gets used up I think your great-grandkidsX10 will be "A" ok.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I have to agree with you there, if I stop and think about the problems we are facing and try to think of solutions I very quickly develop brain freeze.
I have to put it out of my mind or I would go completely insane.

For every 'solution' that comes to mind there is a further 'problem' or reason why that solution won't work or is not practical.

IF I had unlimited funds then 'perhaps' I could attempt to put right some of humanities F*ups, how successful I would be is anyones guess, but as I'm flat broke I have no hope of even beginning any form of change.

Now if I had unlimited power (eg: godlike magical power) I could fix everything, but I wouldn't be very popular because I have really radical ideas on how to fix the earth.

So yeah, it's hard to seem like you care when there's very little you can do about it.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
We are a living miracle and all I ever hear people say is how we're a virus killing the planet.

Planet Earth is doing just fine. It's huge! The snake oil of the Green movement is designed to make you feel guilty for no reason other than to modify and control your behavior...to the enrichment of the elite who design these never-ending scams. How they must chuckle when they think about the "useless eaters" separating trash (trash!) into neat little piles so that they can squeeze us for a few more coins.

Recycling is simply the elite squeezing every possible penny of profit from us. I say they can pick though trash for pennies if they are so inclined, but I will not do it for them. I toil enough for the elite but will not pick though my own refuse so they can make even more profit from my existence.

Earth Day is a scam.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
That's why my Motto is "Worryin's a waste of my #ing time"

Why worry about anything? As far as i'm concerned, the earth is still spinning. Sun goes up, sun goes down like it has been for forever. Animals still living, there's not much polution going on and no problems.

I can't believe how many people think that humans are a problem to this planet or anything. I can't believe that people spend their precious life thinking about what could maybe wrong or what could probably, maybe changed and that get depressed....i mean, really?!
Why not enjoy your life? You only have one and it's short. Don't think about planet earth, don't think about bull# like "the powers that be", don't think about planet X, don't think about what animal could've died in this very second, don't think about health and what food or alcohol could maybe somehow dangerouns and just enjoy your #ing life.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
You should read my thread on how to celebrate earthday.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Might cheer you up.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Thirty_Foot_Smurf

Yes. Yes it did! Thanks!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Earth Day came and went with a whimper.

Ground Hog day was actually more exciting!

I guess with Global Warming thoroughly debunked, the tree huggers weren't much into celebrating?

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Carseller4]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Isn't it awesome how we dedicate a whole day towards our planet?
I can just hear mother earth right now...

"A day?? Are you serious... a [censored] day??? You humans give one of the races in your species a freakin month of recognition after you screw up with them... but mother earth, noooo... lets just give her a [censored] day while we continue to abuse the [censored] outta her...."

[edit on 23-4-2010 by misfitoy]

top topics

join