It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New dinosaur from Utah's Red Rocks lived 185 million years ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I found this article doing my morning news surfing and thought I would share with the members who are interested in paleontology. It seems that this is a significant find for North America and another piece of the puzzle from our distant past.

www.domain-b.com

Utah's red rocks - world-famous attractions at numerous national parks, monuments and state parks - have yielded a rare skeleton of a new species of plant-eating dinosaur that lived 185 million years ago and may have been buried alive by a collapsing sand dune. The discovery confirms the widespread success of sauropodomorph dinosaurs during the Early Jurassic Period.

Until now, Utah's red rocks were known only for a few scattered bones and dinosaur footprints. However, discovery of a remarkably preserved partial skeleton is being published in the March 24 edition of PLoS ONE, the online open-access journal produced by the Public Library of Science.

The study was conducted by Joseph Sertich, a former University of Utah master's student and current Stony Brook University Ph.D. student, and Mark Loewen, a paleontologist at the Utah Museum of Natural History and instructor in the Department of Geology and Geophysics at the University of Utah.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Hi,

Many thanks for posting this. This is especially interesting as it appears to provide yet another link in the chain.

I have stopped at Bluff a couple of times whilst on holidays and hope to be there again next year. From memory, Blanding just to the north has a small but interesting dinosaur musem.

Peace!

join