It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caribbean becoming 'new drug route'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Caribbean becoming 'new drug route'

english.aljazeera.net

Caribbean leaders have urged the US to do more to stop the trafficking of drugs to island nations, saying support for a crackdown on cartels in Mexico has forced smugglers to find new routes through the region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Welcome to the new United States policy regarding any type of war:

Spend billions of dollars pushing the problem around until you have managed to buy your way into every other country on the planet!

A bit of an exaggeration, but I am getting really fed-up.

Not only has the "War on Drugs" in general terms been considered an enormous waste of time and money, but we can't even control just what's coming in from Mexico! We've sent thousands more troops, billions more in financial support to the Mexican government, and still it is crossing our borders!

If you are asking me whether I think the safety of US citizens in general, and the security of those residing specifically in Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, etc., is more important that what is happening in the Caribbean -- that's exactly what I am saying!

Arizona at least is doing what it can to protect its citizens. They have realized that no amount of money or additional police are going to curb the problem -- instead they have decided to allow law-abiding citizens to arm themselves. How much did that cost the government? Nada. In fact, with registration fees and taxes on gun sales, Arizona will likely make money. Imagine that. Improving the security of your citizens by empowering them and making money all at the same time.

Of course, that was Arizona. What does our current administration think is the best course of action?

He said the US had set aside $70m to fund law enforcement and social programmes in Caribbean countries in 2011.

Such funding had declined under the previous Bush administration.

$70 million.

For "social programs" and law enforcement. In the Caribbean.

Doesn't anyone else see the irony to this? At a time when the states are beginning to legalize drugs in order to close their budget gaps, we are spending millions more to prevent drugs from circulating.

Does anyone else think that given our current economic situation it may be time for the US to say -- "Hey, we have our own problems, you're on your own for awhile....."

My intent is not to turn this into a Bush vs. Obama bash fest since they both stink to high heaven anyway, but I would remiss if I did not make mention of the fact that this funding had been cut way back by Bush, and now is being re-funded and increased by Obama.

Of course, according to the Caribbean, we created the problem anyway and now have to spend more money cleaning it up:

But Gates said Caribbean leaders told him that the situation was getting worse due to the efforts of Plan Merida - the $1.4bn US programme started in 2007 to help Mexico fight the cartels.

"Their belief [is] that the problem has gotten worse because of the Merida initiative and Mexico's efforts," he said.

Oh well. What's another few billion here and there......

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I lived in the USVI for a while, St Thomas St John and St Croix. Bales of coc aine would float ashore and for the next few weeks or months we would notice an increase in robberies, bar fights and general disturbing chaos. While many or the native and visiting islanders were all smoking crack made out of the coke that washed ashore. It was free.

After a time things would return to somewhat normal rates of crime but then you would know by the rumblings of the "society" since everyone was so close - another bale had washed ashore and the trouble would begin again.

What was the whole purpose of the DEA again?

It must have been to secure US citizens a never ending and certain supply of drugs because this is the effect they have had since their inception.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by rusethorcain]

new topics

join