It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First bloodbath, now quake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
It is amazing how many people want to discourage people going to South Africa for the World Cup 2010.
There have been all kinds of threats and warnings with very little basis in reality. Here is the latest from one of the "respected British" tabloids:

The newspaper, which cited incorrectly that the country experienced its last major earthquake in 1890, quoted an expert called Dr Hartnady, who cautioned that it was not a matter of "if" but "when" the quake would strike and that despite the fact that the alluded-to earthquake only destroyed a single farmhouse, the economic and mortality cost of another one would be "expensive".

The country actually experienced its most destructive earthquake in September 1969, in which eight people died. Hardly a significant figure when it comes to earthquakes. Considering that there has been no threat of a major earthquake in over forty years, the chances of an earthquake occurring during the month of June are not as likely as the Daily Star would have quivering Britons believe.

Link

South Africa has problems - but worrying about an earthquake is the least of them. What I find interesting is why all this negativity and constant effort by people to make the World Cup a failure.
And if it does (partly through their efforts), they are going to say "We told you so!"

I despise soccer/football - but all this discouragement and blatant disinformation is sickening.

The last paragraph in the article is particularly amusing:

There are still a good eight weeks to go before kick-off — by that time, the British press will no doubt have predicted a tsunami, a volcano and a hurricane. Perhaps even an alien invasion.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
It's just blatant racism...nothing to see here carry on

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
You made the fundamental error of equating the word respected, with British tabloid. They just make things up to sell copies.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
South Africa has problems - but worrying about an earthquake is the least of them. What I find interesting is why all this negativity and constant effort by people to make the World Cup a failure.
And if it does (partly through their efforts), they are going to say "We told you so!"

Well imagine what those tabloids are going to be saying prior to the rugby world cup here in NZ next year. NZ is a highly volcanic and earthquake prone little land mass, and I'd guess there's considerably more risk than in your country.

Especially since the final will be held in the middle of the volcanic field that is Auckland, and will be held at Eden Park, right next to Mt Eden, the largest volcanic cone of the dozens in close proximity.

It's amazing what some people come up with, then call it news. Although I didn't realise there were any "respected British tabloids"

Hopefully all goes well for your country and the games, although I can't say I'm all that optimistic for NZ's All Whites, but hey, at least we made it

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by archives

Ah yes indeed ... but you have to understand that a lot of people believe what they read in newspapers or watch on tv.
Hundred, if not thousands will cancel their plans to go to South Africa because they are not as educated or informed as they should be.

All of this means less tourism income for a country that badly needs a boost.

Looking around the streets as I drive to and from work, it is incredible to see the amount of national pride and awareness of this event. Flags and stickers on so many cars, billboards of every colour and description - all in anticipation of the event.

Back in Europe and the USA they would have people believe that we have armed gangs roaming the streets with machetes.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Cheers, I appreciate your well wishes ... only wish I had the cash to watch the RWC in NZ next year ... it should be amazing.

By "respected" tabloids I was being sarcastic - I googled the scientist (Dr Chris Hartnady) that they quoted ... and it appears all his comments were taken out of context - the poor guy must be apoplectic!

It was mentioned that all the negative reporting is rascism ... why? What happened to all the optimism overseas when apartheid was abolished?

[edit on 14/4/2010 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

But we do?

Surely you've noticed the increase in strikes?

Surely even the violent nature of the strikes?

Whatabout the threats by strikers to derail the world cup?

You can't have a tea party in a township mate, theyr'e too hungry to JUST sit and watch. They want their slice.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

... and their were strikes last year, and the year before. There will be strikes next year - does this make South Africa a potential bloodbath or earthquake zone?

The unions are using the World Cup as leverage or a bargaining tool ... don't blame them, I would do the same.

The British Airways staff regularly threaten strikes over the festive season because of the demand for flights ... so what is your point about strikes?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Yeah, I thought you were being sarcastic, but wasn't entirely sure. That's not good, we are lucky as we get live free-to-air coverage of the World Cup, with finals on 4 channels (more than half in most areas) at once!. Which is great, as we usually only get delayed coverage for standard international or Super 12 matches.

I wouldn't say they are "racist" in the literal sense of the word, just trying to make a story for a bit more profit. Or maybe the Poms are just making excuses already

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

off - topic ... but I will be watching all the rugby on tv ... I just would prefer to brave the earthquakes, volcanoes and bloodbaths that will occur in New Zealand to watch it at the stadiums in NZ itself

Edit: and don't forget that according to the trend on ATS, some people will post a claim that Disclosure will happen during the Rugby World Cup 2011

[edit on 14/4/2010 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

If they are smart and informed as you say they should be, then it will not be the earthquake threat that changes their plans but the threat of a civil race war and terrorist acts that will keep them away. I love football but not enough to get myself killed for attending a game. I will watch from home on my flat screen hd.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Phedreus

I find it hilarious how you may be afraid of getting injured here - yet we watch football hooligans in Europe and say the same thing about watching a game there.

Ah well ... enjoy the World Cup, where-ever you watch it from.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Having being a Football Fanatic Tragic since aged four,I have to say I have bad vibes about South Africa hosting the showpiece event.
There is so much space there a real security problem.
I hope nothing untoward happens and that either Australia or England win the cup.
But every South African I have spoken to has told me "traveller beware".

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Here is the funniest thing:

Johannesburg - An earth tremor measuring 2.8 on the Richter Scale was felt in parts of Johannesburg at about 19:30 on Wednesday.

"The earthquake lasted for only a few seconds because it was a sudden release of energy in the earth," Michelle Grobbelaar, the unit manager at the Seismology Department at the Council of Geoscience told News24.

Link

Just a baby quake ... but it sure had a few people rattled.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kingdom of darkness
It's just blatant racism...nothing to see here carry on

you can say that again. Racism is so bad it makes the kkk and the black panthers look like a recess fight in a playground.

new topics

top topics

join