It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Soldiers....can you help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This probably isn't the best place to post this, and I don't know where else it should go. I'm trying to put together a display case for my husband and I could use some help. Can I use miniature medals instead of the large size ones? Should I use both ribbons and medals? I know I will need some service stars and I don't know how to place those. I know it's a lot to ask. I was going to have it done for me, but the price quoted was over $500 and I just don't have that kind of money. It's a surprise for my husband's birthday and I'd really like to do it right.
Anyone feeling awful helpful today?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Explanation: Flagged!

[Note: OL is an Australian and is not a military expert and has never been a soldier OK!]

Medal Mounting [heritagemedals.com.au]

Medal case example [heritagemedals.com.au]

Possible Alternatives: velvet jewelry box [verbenajewelry.com]

End Look examples (wooden boxes) [medalbox.com.au]

Personal Disclosure:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Omega, thanks for those sites, but I'm not really having a problem organizing them. I guess my post was not really clear. I have questions about the medals and ribbons. I'm doing more and more research and think I'm understanding a little better. I was having trouble finding a few medals. I wasn't sure where the bronze service stars went, how many, etc. If it's proper to mix miniature medals with lapel size ribbons or regular size ribbons, or if I should miniature everything. Some medals have two different ones for the same name, etc, etc.
Those medals and ribbons sure add up quickly!

[edit on 13-4-2010 by virraszto]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Explanation: I did some more research and here is what I came up with...

Rules for Wearing Military Medals [ehow.co.uk]

Army Awards and Decorations [usmilitary.about.com]

Order of Precedence regulation (page 34 of pdf) [apd.army.mil]

Order of Precedence within categories of medals regulation (page 289 of pdf) [apd.army.mil]

Personal Disclsoure: I hope that helps!

Edited spelling fail!

Edited url fail! soz me a
Sigh :shk:
[edit on 13-4-2010 by OmegaLogos]

[edit on 13-4-2010 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It seems there are several different Nato medals, and I'm not sure which to get.
Can't find the Silver Germany Army Marksmanship Badge. Spent almost $200 bucks on the medals, ribbons, etc. and probably bought way more than I need for this display case. I ordered a case last night and hope it gets here in time for me to put everything in it. I think I might be overdoing it, but I'd rather have too many instead of too few.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Sounds like a very sweet gesture, and an heirloom that will last a lifetime, and travel throughout your family heritage. How can you spend "too much" on something like that? I think you're doing just fine...

new topics

top topics

join